Monterey, CA sailing for the first time on Friday

Previous topic - Next topic

yngvepau

My wife and I are going sailing for the first time on Friday in Monterey on a 30' Catalina. This will be the intro for us to sailing. We are taking a 4 hour cruise called Intro to Sailing and Seamanship Course. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do and where to go. The boat is chartered from Monterey Bay Sailing. We are motor boater now and I am trying to get my wife interested in sailing. We have been looking at the Catalina series of boats at the St. Petersburg strictly sail. Any input would be great.

Thanks

yngvepau

Stu Jackson

The conditions on Monterey Bay are usually great, weather permitting in this fall season, for sailing.  As you know, the Bay is essentially a big wide open bowl facing west.  Sailing out of Monterey, there just aren't too many places to go, and you may benefit from just spending your time out on the water, in lieu of trying to "make" a destination - sailing is completely different than power-boating, in that "the getting there is half the fun."  Being new to the boat, and knowing that docking is usually the hardest maneuver, why not just head out and about?  Moss Landing has a very narrow and tricky entrance, and would be a place to avoid on your first trip.  Other places to go are Santa Cruz and Capitola, but that's a long way from Monterey.  One final suggestion, spend the first half going out against the wind, whichever direction it may be from, so that your trip back is downwind and comfortable, and makes the end of the day very relaxing.  Good luck, and welcome to the sailing community.  I just took a former dock-mate out sailing, who'd just sold his powerboat and "come in from the Dark Side."  Hey, it happens.   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Skipperjay

Unless I'm missing something, I have to assume that since this is your first time sailing, you are going out with an experienced instructor who will introduce you to sailing theory as
well as the mechanics of the boat. Monterey Bay is a beautiful area but since this is essentially a first time learning experience you are going to be quite occupied getting a
feel for the boat. One more note, I think that 4 hours is too long to spend on the water if this is supposed to be an introductory experience. I think that one's learning curve starts to have
diminishing returns if the lesson is over extended. Just my 2 cents.
BTW, the cat. 30 is a great boat. I have owned two and have recently moved up to a Cat. 34 which we love.

steve stoneback

Stu,
I agree with your comments on a destination or a lack of one.  Usually when someone asks me where I am sailing to I just tell them no where in particular.... I tell them when I am sailing I am already where I want to be.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Joe and Carol

Congratulations on your interest and organized introduction to sailing.  :D  Sailing is a learned sport with great reward.  Relax on your first instructed outing. Enjoy the wind and sea, relationships of crewing the boat and appreciate the design of using mother nature to move you in some way.

Our first experience brought us to realize the simple pleasures of sailing only complicate when your expectations exceed your abilities. Learning to sail keeps you honest with progress and knowledge  hopefully lured into a safe progression curve giving you leave of life's many harbors.

We enjoyed our Catalina 30 beyond belief and now have a Catalina 34.  I share the excitement of your Friday outing. With you in spirit! Every sailing trip is a fortune of recreation. Best of Luck! :thumb:
Joe & Carol Pyles

YatchaSea
1987 Catalina 34 TR
Hull #244

Sailing Stockton Lake, Missouri

Ken Juul

I have dockmates that completed the motor to sail conversion this spring.  They are now addicted.  A couple of lessons learned from them.  Unsure on whether they would really like sailing, they purchased an older 30 Oday.  The boat was in less than perfect condition so they spent more time fixing this summer than sailing.  They have also realized the boat doesn't fit their needs.  They have improved the material condition, so hopefully they won't take a bath when they sell the 30 Oday to upgrade.  So I would recommend taking lessons, chartering, talk to a local yacht club, tell them your situation begging for any available rides.(bring snacks/beverages for all).  Most skippers are happy to take you on a sail or two.  After you have been on several different types/sizes of boats you will have a better idea of what you really need and want.  We are obviously biased, but you can't go wrong with a Catalina.  I am surrounded by Hunters in my marina, although Hunter quality has improved, they just aren't built as well. I am continually amazed by the number of things that have started to break as my neighbors boats get a year or so out of warranty.   Another indicator is most Catalina's in the 27-36ft range have very short stays on the for sale pages.  The good ones are gone quick!  Can't say that about the many of the other manufacturers.
Hope you become the next addicts :clap
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA