Rudder redo

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Brener

A question while on the topic of rudders.  I mark my wheel with thread to know by feel when the helm is centered.  This year I noticed that the marked center point is 5 degrees or so off when the helm is centered and the boat is going straight.  The cables are tight and I did not notice any problem with the rudder when inspected while on the hard.  I have some rust stains and have drilled holes for drainage and filled them in before painting.  I did have the prop fulled this winter but that should not be a factor.  Any ideas on why the center point of the helm changed from last year to this?
Jim Brener
Wind Spirit  1987  #504

Ron Hill

Jim : Not too sure that you may want to hear my first thoughts about your problem. 
Worst case is that the "corroded" grid (because of the rust stains) inside the rudder layup has bent!    :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

rappareems

Steve,

They filled the quadrant holes with aluminum as that is what the quadrant is.  I have been in two races since the replacement and the boat is quite a bit more responsive and tacks are sharper.  Have not had  very heavy air yet so cannot comment on weather helm.  I managed to "bump" a rock last night leaving the club dock, water not as high as I thought, I am hoping it was the keel that bumped I think if it had been the new rudder it would have really shook the wheel which it didn't.  Will do a dive when the lake gets a bit warmer.
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario