Leaking chain plate repair -- winter rains

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

My chain plates have started leaking. . . .just in time for the winter rains.  I only plan one more outing before winterizing.  Is it worth trying to dry out the core while it's cold and wet out?  Or would I be better off throwing a tarp up and waiting for spring?
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stu Jackson

A lot depends on how deep the wet core extends.  If you ream out some of the core and it is dry within a short distance of the hole, then simply fill in the removed core with epoxy now.  Don't know if you're planning on leaving your mast up for the winter.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

wind dancer

Yes, I'm leaving it in the water, mast-up.   I'm guessing the wet core estends a few inches at least. 

What kind of epoxy would you recommend?

Ron Hill

Jay : From my days at Ft. Lewis, I recall that it drizzles from Oct to April. If you know that the chain plates are leaking (because of breaks in the caulking seal) I'd cover the boat with a tarp in hopes that it would keep out more seepage and maybe even start to dry out! 
The West system is a good epoxy.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Hard to recommend an epoxy, there are all kinds and I'm not an expert on them.  West and others advertise in all the magazines and see what's available in the stores.  One manufacturer just came out with a two part epoxy that's in a tube that goes into a standard gun and mixes it out as it comes out of the tube - pretty spiffy.  If it was my boat, I'd use Marinetex, only because I have been using it for years and I know how to work with it, but it's really overkill for that application (paints like wood, hardens like steel!!!).  If you've done searches on "chainplate" there must be something on those posts.  Also try "epoxy" for a search.

Here's one from a search on "epoxy" that had chainplates right in it!  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2041.0

I continue to recommend searches on the subject words that turn up so much useful information from our huge historical treasure trove of knowledge from the large number of willing participants in this Message Board and the original website.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Randy and Mary Davison

Jay.

I discovered one chain plate leaking last weekend in Anacortes and decided to temporarily "seal" it with the "flowable" silicon you can buy at auto parts stores.  It's intended for sealing windshields and is basically a somewhat thinner version of standard silicon sealer.  Don't accidentally pick up the black, non-setting goo.

I ran a finger bead of this stuff around the topside fitting and it did indeed stop the leak until I can do a proper job.  I've had pretty good success re-bedding in February and March in cool clear weather, but, as you no doubt know, we're just heading into 90 days of all water all the time!  The forecast for the next 24 hours is 2 to 6 inches in the lowlands and 9 inches in the mountains so it's not a great time to try to dry somethiing out. 

If it really is an el nino year, we may have some opportunities to work in that crappy 40 degree fog that hangs around in December.
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

wind dancer

I think I'll do the silicone bit for now -- looks like the previous owner did just that.   Then, after my last trip out for the year, I'll replace the tarp I have up now, and just do the rebedding in the spring.

Thanks for the advice, guys!  :appl