Winter Storage Cover

Previous topic - Next topic

smithpe

Several folks have listed the merits of the custom made winter covers.  Have any of you had a good experience with a cover which you have made.  If so, would you please describe what you've used?  I'll be storing our 34 on the shores of Lake Erie.

Ed Shankle

The custom canvas covers, with frames, cost a couple grand, at least the ones I checked out.
Alternatively, I made a frame out of PVC pipe, and bought a 40'x30' silver plastic tarp (polyethelene?). A 40x20 would work too. I customized the tarp by making the cutouts where needed (around mast, forestay, backstay and midships)and installing grommets so they than be laced up. Then cover the lacing with (what else) duct tape. I cut out holes for the stanchions and wrap extra tarp material around the intersection to seal and redirect runoff. Taking the lifelines off and installing so the stanchions are thru the cover give you a better angle for snow sloughing. I will be using my present cover for the 4th year this winter.
I'm in Salem, MA. so we get real winters. The silver tarp works better than the blue, cheap tarps. Heavier and it's reflectiveness reduces solar breakdown. It costs about $90. I don't remember what I paid for the PVC pipes, but it's fairly cheap.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

jentine

Why cover the boat at all.  It is designed to shed weather, isn't it?

chudave

I still have a "The Canvas Store" winter cover for sale. It fits a Mark 2 and was used only for a single season. Email me offline chudave@sprintmail.com) if your interested.

I have a de-icer too.

None are much use in So. Calif, so I'd like to see them get put to use.

Dave Chu

Brad Taylor

I was thinking of making my own cover...1.25 inch PVC. I thought I would make about 5 or 6 arches about 5 feet apart and then secure them in place against the stanchions and then tie the arches together with a stap of some kind. Then put a 40 foot by 24 foot tarp over the whole thing. In Toronto I can only find a blue tarp? I would rather have something a bit stronger but can't seem to find it.

Ed Shankle

Try looking at swimming pool stores for a stronger tarp. Also anyplace that sells trucking supplies (canvas, straps, etc). The trucking supply route will be cheaper. I actually saw a catalog for that stuff.
I'd advise against attaching to the stanchions. I did that my first year, got hammered in a late spring, wet snowstorm, and the stanchions got bent on the starboard side from the weight of the snow on the tarp. Also, I would think that the constant pressure against them due to wind action on the cover, might affect the seal. You'll also get a steeper angle off the tarp if you go right to the deck with the tarp. Better to slough off snow.
I ran PVC stringers down the deck, and connected the PVC joists (your arches) to them for stability.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

Phil Spicer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jentine:
                                                  Why cover the boat at all.  It is designed to shed weather, isn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I will cover about nov 1. uncover about april.
The time out of the sun should extend the life of the exterior of the boat. Let the uv destroy the cover, not the boat. This also gives everything time to dry, such as a deck leak etc. Come spring
things should be dry and ready for repairs. But more than anything the boat is out of the uv.

jentine

For nine years I have not covered my boat (it is difficult to use once it has been covered).  It is in the water in New England during all four seasons.  Apparently our winters are more mild than the rest of the country because I have not suffered the damages listed in your most recent post, mainly stains from leaves, soot, jet exhaust, road grime and the like.  You also mentioned ultraviolet damage and freeze/thaw/freeze damage.  The greatest season for ultraviolet damage is during the periods of greatest sunshine (summer).  Winter with its diminished sunshine is not a u/v problem.   Do you cover your boat in the summer?
This is also the greatest period to experience soot pollution from the myriad of diesel boats in the marina and the more extended use of the highways and byeways.  The other reasons listed for covering are deck leaks.  Proper and continual maintenance on the deck fittings and their bedding will eliminate the freeze/ thaw/ freeze damage that seems to cause great worry.
I know many boaters that do not cover their sailboats in the winter.  I was at the marina last weekend and fewer than 50% of the boats had covers.  The ones that did have covers were merely a simple frame with a tarp draped over it to keep the snow and ice off the deck (this type cover allows the elements in).  The prime area for concern is that the vessel has proper drainage to allow the snow and ice to disperse once the thaw occurs.

Ed Shankle

I guess it all comes down to what types of prevention give you comfort.
Almost all of the boats at my marina and surrounding ones cover up in the winter. If you're on the hard for 6 months, by covering up you've reduced your UV exposure considerably (I won't say half due to the shorter days).
Rather than have deck fittings, port/hatch gaskets and wood handrails/trim continually challenged by snow,ice and water that will lead to replacement sooner rather than later, I find the cover a comfortable choice.
Also, when I want to get inside to putter around, it sure beats having to shovel and brush snow or ice away first.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Salem, MA

victor_menasce

I have used a variety of winter covers on my two previous boats. I found that sometimes they caused more harm than good. If the tarp becomes unsecured during heavy wind, significant chafe can occur. I have finally found the perfect cover. It was designed by Bernie Luttmer of Swans Marina in Toronto. Swans are the local Catalina dealer. It covers the deck only and has a system of little weight bags that hang from the gunwhale. These weights keep the tarp taught in any wind. They are custom ordered and cost about $1500 CDN or about $1000 US. Their lead time is about 10 days. Excellent product.