Cutless Bearing

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic Suben

I recently learned that a company called Strut Pro makes a tool that enables the removal/installation of cutless bearings without the need to remove the prop shaft.

I found out that the tool costs $395.00 plus shipping.  Because cutless bearings generally last about 5 -6 years, it's hard to justify the purchase of one of these tools unless it's shared bya group.  Perhaps there is a group of C-34 owners who would like to chip in to have one of these tools available when needed.  Or perhaps, the C-34 Association would buy it for use by association members.  The cost of the tool could be recouped by renting it whenever someone wants to use it.

If there is no interest in the above options, perhaps someone knows of anyone who has one of these tools, that I might rent or borrow.

Incidentally, the Catalina 36 Association has one of these tools, but it's only for use by C-36 members (I inquired).

Vic Suben
Surprise

Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Rick Johnson

If it's not too much, I would kick in some money on this....
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stephen Butler

We replaced our prop shaft and cutless bearing 2 years ago and found numberous links on this site, including pictures of a homemade tool to get the job done.  Strongly suggest that you do a search and then head to HD for the bits and pieces.  BTW, one really can do the replacement without dropping the rudder.  Must admit that I questioned this at the start of the project, but sure enough, the job can be done with the rudder and shaft in place.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Craig Illman

You can always join the C36 org as an associate member for $45 for three years and get access to all of Tom Senator's toolbox, I expect.

Craig

Ron Hill

Vic : As Steve mentioned, why don't you treat your 20 year old boat to a new stainless drive shaft.  In the process you can easily change the cutless bearing.  A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Moore

I would like to join in on the pucrchase since I need to pull mine this upcoming year.
1988 #729
std rig/fin
Life is good and I enjoy being a participant in it

crieders

I had a toolmaker talk to the factory, got the specs and created a tool. Its not a big deal but its no pleasure to replace unless you have a set screw in your strut which my boat did not. Cliff Rieders c34, 1990, #1022
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Vic Suben

I have plans for a home made tool that will enable the removal and installation of the cutless bearing without removing the prop shaft.  I can get the steel needed, but I don't have the tools to make the pieces.  If someone has access to a drill press and either  a milling machine or a band saw, then we can pool our resources and get the thing made.  Failing that, I will take the plans to a machine shop and have the parts made.

Vic Suben
Surprise
Vic
Surprise, Hull No. 453

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."