Cored or not?

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I have searched but I can't find much information on whether or not the stanchion pad bolts and chainplates on the MKII are through cored deck or pure fibreglass. Does anyone know for sure?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Ours are through the deck, there be wood in 'dere, matey.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

John,
I rebed my chainplates a couple years ago and they do not have wood core in that area.  There seems to be resin in that area.  Don't know about the stanchion base, I never pulled one off.  But, I would guess that is the same too.  Call Catalina.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

John : I don't believe that Catalina cuts out any areas and fills them with glass/epoxy.  Then drills thru that fill to mount the stanchions, anyway they didn't do the as of a few years ago. 
All the CATALINA's have a plywood core that's why it's so important to "paint" the stanchion holes with epoxy to seal the raw edges before you put the bolt back in - I've written this up a number of times.

Why don't you ask the factory and then let us know their answer.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

On our 1990, number 1023, it is cored out to the edge. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jim Price

1991 #1119 has that nasty wood in them thar chainplate thru - decks.  Never had to pull a stanchion but would assume it is also cored.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Roc

These pictures show that there is no wood in the chainplate area.  Looks like a hard epoxy.  I poked and prodded with a screw driver and it is not wood. Where there would be wood, was an off white hard resin material.  Above and below was fiberglass.  I reamed out the hole for the chainplate since there were areas where there was no room for any caulk, the chainplate was hitting the sides in some areas.  I made sure the opening was uniform around the chainplate so a good amount of bedding could be applied.  No leaks after two years.  Pictures show initial opening once chainplate was removed.  Hole after grinding out with dremel.  Last picture is with chainplate attached with uniform opening around.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD