Bilge Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

What size bilge pump came with the 1986 C34?  I currently have a 2000 gph pump but the hose is too large for the pump.  The line appears to be a 1 1/2" hose installed with a reducer to the pump.  When the pump shuts off, it seems like gallons of water flow back in the bilge.  Do i install a vented loop to reduce tha back flow?  Smaller line?  Any other suggestions?
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

wind dancer

My '88 has a 1000 gph Rule pump with a 1 1/8" hose.  It is common for pumps of this type to back flow some water when turned off. 
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Roger Blake

Steve, I have the same problem with water from the hose re-entering the bilge. These posts may help:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=924.0
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=159.0
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

sedelange

I had read both of those posts.  What I am curious about is why the outlet hose is so big.  It appears to be 1 1/2" ribbed hose. 
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Fou Du Large

Steeve
You just have to install a check valve just after the outlet of the pump.
Martial
C-34  1986 
No-58
'' OCEANE ''

Rick Johnson

Now I thought we were never supposed to put a check valve on a bilge pump hose.....
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

sedelange

I tried a check valve in the Catalina 27 I own.  The only real problem is that if you drain the bilge manually instead of letting the float switch shut it off, tghe pump cavitates and the air is trapped in the pump.   When the float switch triggers the next time the pump will just keep cavitating until the pump burns up or the battery dies.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Jim Price

I think using a check valve can depend on the situation.  I have had one for 4 years, but I am on fresh water lake and only water that ever gets in my bilge is the rain down the inside of the mast - always clean water.  I do open the line about once a year to check that valve is not sticking or getting any build up and I wash out the bilge periodically to keep dirt and dust from building below letting the pump get a good workout while I can oversee. 

In my circumstances, the check valve works great and is not an issue.  But I would be much more concerned using a check valve if the boat was getting salt or "dirty" water in the bilge.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

glwestcott

We have a dripless shaftlog added a couple of years ago.  Completely dry bilge and much less condensation in the boat in the fall and winter (San Francisco area so no winterizing).  One of the best additions to the boat.
Gary Westcott
C34 Jennifer Anne