Putting a generator on a 1990

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I just bought a 2000.  If it is empty it sits just inside the rear stateroom door when not in use.  If it has fuel in it, it goes forward of the pedestal under the table underway, bow/cabin top at anchor or dock.  It will fit nicely in the walk through transom.  I think a winter project will be to add extenders to the helm seat base to raise it enough for the generator to fit under the seat.  An added benifet will be the raised seat which is needed anyway.  With the $50 !!! pigtail it connects easily to the shore power cord.  It easily powers the Battery Charger, hot water and/or microwave.  I have a split A/C system, with all else off it will run the 12000 btu main A/C.   I found a price cheaper than Mayberry's plus shipping was free.  If memory serves it was $860.  If anyone is interested I can dig the name out of my files.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Craig Illman

I'm interested on where you got your EU2000i, Mayberry's quoted me $879 with free freight. I'm probably going to buy one toward the end of the year.

Craig

Ken Juul

We paid $869. No shipping

Coffman Electric, Grand Rapids, MI  888 331 5344

http://www.steadypower.com/
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Roger Blake

Has anyone tried the Yamaha EF2400iS Inverter Generator? They advertise it is powerful enough to start most 13,500 BTU air conditioners.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Roger : There are 3 key factors that should be looked at in determining the gen set that you purchase:
1. Will it provide the wattage necessary to run the equipment that I want to power up?
2. Where will I store (size) and where will I run it?
3. How much noise does it make while running?

I took the smaller Honda 1KW (or Yamaha1KW = same same) because #s 2 and 3 were my deciding factors.  Most C34 owners are not swayed by price vrs generating output.

A thought.  :think

Ron, Apache #788

Roger Blake

Thanks Ron...I've been keeping those things in mind. It appears the DBs are equivalent (slightly less) than the Honda 2000. I would like a generator capable of powering the air conditioner...don't think I would use it for that often...but some nights would be nice with the air on while on the hook. The Yamaha is slightly larger than the Honda and weighs twice as much...that could be the killer. But, if anyone has one of these, I'd like to know where they stow it and if if can power the air conditioner. I'm going to get the specs on my air conditioner this weekend to see if the Yamaha could work. Additional thoughts/ideas welcomed.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414

Ron Hill

Roger : I've got a friend with a Honda 2KW. 
They store it in front of the pedestal steering while underway and forward of the mast at anchor. 
My 1KW stays put in the port-side lazerette until I run it.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788