Hatch Repair - Select Plastics

Previous topic - Next topic

sselinger

The front hatch on my 1990, Aquila, is badly crazed. I am thinking of having the plastic replaced by Select Plastic in Conn. Has anyone done business with them, and if yes how was the experience and results?
Steve Selinger
Aquila #1047

Ed Shankle

I had Select do my forward hatch last year and I'm very happy with the results. I don't remember exactly what I paid, may have been around $350. Shipped them the hatch cover, removed from the frame and about 2 weeks later had it returned. Smoked gray lens looks nicer than the blue original one.
One thing they noted to me is that if a totally new hatch is being considered, the holes through the coach roof will most likely not align, which of course means filling the old holes and creating new ones. That's what convinced me to do the lens replacement only.
Bottom line, I'd recommend then.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Rick Johnson

Steve, let me know what you find out, please.  The PO had very large stickers saying "I'll be Back" on the front hatch.  With all the crazing the hatch looks terrible and you can still read where the letter used to be....  I've wanted to do something about this, but money is always tight working for the school district.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

kss1220

I reglazed the Bomar hatch myself.  Went to my local supplier of acrylic sheeting and took my old hatch acrylic which I had removed from the frame with a lot of coaxing with a razor blade and screw driver.  The cut and drilled the new acrylic to an exact copy of the old crazed acrylic.  I then cleaned out all the old caulking and wiped everything down with denatured alcohol. Then I masked the aluminum frame with masking tape.  Also masked the acrylic right up to the outside top edge. I then placed the acrylic into the dry aluminum frame centered.  I then placed 3M Ultraglaze which is the same material that was used at the factory for glazing the acrylic.  This can only be purchased from a local Authorized GE distributor of commercial construction supply house. 
Then once the caulk is palaced into the aluminum frame, I then took a putty knife dipped it into mineral spirits and then proceeded to strike or spread out and distribute the caulking material, making sure it filled in all the voids and air pockets.  Upon being satisfied that the material was well distributed I then pulled off all the masking tape.  You must be very careful when doing this not to disturb the centering of the acrylic to the frame.  The masking tape will have a lot of caulking on it so you must also be careful not to get it on you or the hatch assembly.  Then yo must wait for about 2 weeks time for the material to cure.  Do not disturb the hatch before then or you will not get a good seal.  I have done this over a year ago and there has not been a drop of water coming through.  It is like a brand new hatch and you will save a lot of money.  Total cost.  Caulk =$9.00 Acrylic = $45.00

Kelly Steck

Ron Hill

Steve : I believe it was "Hatch Masters" @ Select Plastics that I talked to when I wrote a Vberth hatch article in the Mainsheet tech notes.  Lewmar wouldn't sell the replacement lens because of Lloyds of London surety problems.

Anyway give them a call at(203)866-3767.  I believe that our hatches are the "size 75".  They specialize in Lewmar len replacement.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ted Pounds

I also re-glazed my hatch using Kelly's procedure.  I was easy and worked well.  One difference - I up-sized to 3/8 inch plastic.  Some extra caulk aroung the edges to ease the transition and you'd never notice the difference, but it's 50% stronger.   :thumb:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447