Removing Beckson ports w/flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Jeff asked a question about fixed ports.  I mistakenly answered about Beckson ports since for us they're almost always closed, and thus, fixed!  Yeah, right. :abd:

The Becksons appeared on the older boats (1986-7) until they were replaced, by Catalina, with the Lewmar ports in 1987.  Even with the Lewmars on the cabin, the white Becksons were still used for the aft cabin until the Mark II appeared.

Anyway, I incorrectly answered the fixed ports question with this Beckson answer, so then I split the posts.

Check out this at FAQS:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-leakyports.html

I continue to suggest, especially for folks with older boats, that they become familiar with the FAQ section of the www.c34.org portion of the website (Guide to the Technical Resources of the C34 Website:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0).  

{Sorry to sound like your Mom, and I know you'd all rather be sailing, but heck, I read all that material before and after we bought our boat, and many of us continued to write all that stuff for a purpose.  I know, I finally got it -- so we could help y'all look it up!!!  :love:  and enjoy}

Here's a picture of the actual working rig made of wood and bolts.  I just did one a few weeks ago.  The real trick is to be patient -- slllooowwwwwllllyyyy tighten the bolts and watch as the old sealnt, if there even is any, starts to pop.

Also a picture of what's behind it all:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3601.msg19950.html#msg19950
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve W10

Hey Stu good idea to split the posts, and great info in those links.
Further to this topic....

1. Read what I can about these Beckson's but can't find a reference to the construction of the C34 cockpit walls at the aft cabin portholes.  I suspect they are still cored with plywood like the coachhouse?

2. If so, then I was wondering if sealing these portholes from inside is a good idea?  As others have said, If it's leaking into the core I want to know about it.

3. But then I'm wondering if I can get a good enough seal with just the trim ring around the protruding drain part that extends into the cockpit?

and 4. Also, as a completely converted fan of Butyl, I'm hoping it'll work here?  Yes/No?

Thanks,
Steve

Stu Jackson

1.  I'd guess yes, but I don't know from experience.

2.  Never seal anything from the inside, you're right.  As far as that location is concerned, it would seem there would be less of any delamination there as there was at my port forward V berth port in the linked picture.

3.  The Beckson instructions are pretty good.  The trim really seals nothing.  It's the joint between the port and outside fiberglass.

4.  Ditto, Beckson recommends ONLY silicone.  Butyl won't work.  I've done maybe three or four with silicone and they all work.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Steve W10

Amazing, great links, thanks a tonne for the effort Stu, I really appreciate it.

I hope to do mine next week so hopefully I can throw a few more images in the FAQ write-up on these ports.

Thanks again.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Steve Wormsbecher on September 10, 2012, 03:06:50 PM

I hope to do mine next week so hopefully I can throw a few more images in the FAQ write-up on these ports.

Put them in the wiki, the FAQ is "closed" since all of it has been moved (copied) to the wiki.

Or do what I do:  add a line to the wiki with a link back to here.