standing rigging replacement cost

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

I'm planning to pull the mast this year at haul out and have the rigging replaced by the yard over the winter. I haven't received a quote from the yard yet, but meanwhile, I'd like to hear what others have spent to have this done, to get a point of comparison.
thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Ron Hill

Ed : There are so many variable that you'd better make sure you are comparing apples and apples.  I'm sure that price is going to be affected by: region, time of year, mast on boat or on saw horses, how fast you want the job done and extent of what you're replacing!!  These are but a few of the variables that I can think of.

As I recall I paid about $3K for ALL of the standing rigging (8 stays, all turnbuckles) "pin to pin" in May with the mast on the boat. Which included taking it all off, re installation and 2 tunings.  One tuning at installation and another 3 week later after sailing.  It also included the cost for installation of a new fruling system.

You might also think about replacing the head sail roller furling system at the same time.  It's difficult to remove a furler from the head stay with out bending the tubes.

The best price I found was the Catalina factory, but they would only make new rigging if you sent your old rigging to them so they could match it.  Then you'd have to install the new rigging yourself or hire someone

Just make sure that when you're getting prices you are comparing apples and apples!!!!  Good luck.   
Ron, Apache #788

Craig Illman

I spent about 2K, pin to pin for cables, hardware and swaging, with the mast pulled. The rigger only installed the forestay onsite at the yard through the furler extrusion with a swagless terminal at the bottom. Otherwise, we did all the work ourselves, including delevering the old rigging to the shop to be replicated. Stainless cable has gone up in price the past eighteen months, so some people's past costs may need that factored in. I went with West Marine locally here in Seattle, there were three or four options locally. They were able to meet my turn-around schedule of just a couple days while I had the mast down.

- Craig

Jeff Kaplan

ed, before you have the yard do it, contact kevin montague@ north east rigging, 781-559-8416, or his cell#978-287-0060. he does great work and can come into your yard to do work. i have known him for years. when i first got #219 2 years ago, i had hawthorne take down the mast. called kevin to replace all the rigging and when he inspected mast, told me only one toggle had to be replaced, very honest guy, won't do anything unless it needs to be done.and i guarantee he will be less. he installs electronics also. used to own marine exchange on rt1,years ago...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Jeff Kaplan

ed, i gave you both work #'s. his cell is: 617-285-1887...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

captran

We had NW Rigging replace ours alittle over a year and a half ago.  It was about $1800.    They checked the old rigging first and found it to be OK but since the mast was already off, and we'd moved the boat from the humid SE coast up to the NW, we decided we might as well do it now.  From talking to folks, I don't think anybody seems to replace the rigging every 7 years  or so, which is what the manual says.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Randy : FYI, the rule of thumb is to replace the rigging for a "cruiser" every 12 - 15 years.   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788