Installing Norcold DE-0051 fridge

Previous topic - Next topic

wind dancer

I'm installing a Norcold DE-0051 AC/DC fridge under my nav table tonight.  The wiring instructions that came with it were pretty generic, and don't specifically apply to this model.  Any suggestions, or things to avoid doing?

It has an outlet plug for AC and a wiring harness for DC.  . .

FYI: this model fits nicely under the nav table, with a little work, and only uses 3 amps on DC.

Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Stu Jackson

1.  AC side -- consider hard wiring it to avoid having to use the plug.  You should be able to easily tap into the AC side with the terminal strips on the back wall (hull sidee) behind the elctrical panel, and use a a new AC breaker for the AC side.

2.  You most likely have a breaker or at least a fuse for the refrigerator on the DC side, so use that.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

wind dancer

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 09, 2006, 11:09:53 AM
1.  AC side -- consider hard wiring it to avoid having to use the plug.  You should be able to easily tap into the AC side with the terminal strips on the back wall (hull sidee) behind the elctrical panel, and use a a new AC breaker for the AC side.

2.  You most likely have a breaker or at least a fuse for the refrigerator on the DC side, so use that.

Thanks, Stu.  The instructions recommend using 16 gauge wire for short runs, 14 for longer runs.  From what I've read, the ideal gauge would be 15, and when in between I've always gone with the larger wire in the past.  So, I'm going to use 14 gauge.  Any thoughts?

Ted Pounds

PO put one on my boat in that spot.  It works well.  He hard wired everything.  I bought a dishpan (not sure of the exact size) that I use as a drawer for storing stuff in the main part of the fridge.  It allows me to open the fridge on a port tack an not have everything spill out into the cabin.  Also, while it only draws 3 amps, it draws those amps constantly.  So you're looking at about 75 amp-hours per day.  Never an issue for me as I have the four golf-cart batteries for the house bank and spend most of my time on AC anyway.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Wire sizing depends on length.  Use the table in the West Marine catalog or any 3% voltage drop table (and then I go to 12 ga. anyway -- because I bought a spool of it a long time ago!).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Wind : I'd use 12 gage marine grade tinned wire and solder & crimp all of the end connections.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Any of you have photos of it installed?
Thanks
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

wind dancer

No photos, yet.  I haven't had time to finish the install.  I did build a 2 1/2" base for it as it is slightly shorter than the opening.  Side to side and front to back is a near perfect fit.  The only thing I had to do was remove the largely decorative wood bracket underneath the nav table.

Right now I'm just running it off AC, and it cools quickly and cycles off when it gets to temp.  I'm going to wire it to the "Refer" switch for DC one of these days soon.  When I finish, I'll take a picture and post it for you.

Ken Juul

there are a couple of other ideas for a second fridge in Projects.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA