Cowl vents

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Reese

What do you prefer in upgrading/replacing the cowl vents.  We have '90.  Are the standard, traditional cowl vents what people are using or are there other alternatives?
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

Ron Hill

Todd : Are you talking about the Cowl vents for the blower or the Dorade vents for the main cabin??   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Todd Reese

The Dorade vents for the main cabin.
Todd & Joni Reese
s/v Eroica II
St. Petersburg, FL

Rick Johnson

I'm still working on this project....

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

See the August 2005 Mainsheet for my article on dorade cowl replacement.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Rick, your installation looks great!  We have the standard cowls on our 1990, and except for a twice yearly cleaning, have no problems with them...no caught lines, lost cowls, etc.  We will no doubt stay with our factory setup until forced to change, but your project has us definitely thinking.  Who knew one could have "cowl envy?"
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Rick Johnson

I still cannot decide on how to do the forward section between the dorade and the deck.  I think I'll go by a model shop and buy some balsa wood to use for a mock-up.  I was thinking I would go with teak for the final version, but some of my boat neighbors have suggested StarBoard.  I have decided that I'll go with the ABI Stainless Steel low profile vents...  It should give my C34 a bit of a different look....

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Some people also use the 4 inch Nicro solar vents.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jon Schneider

I went with the 4" low profile stainless vents from e-marine (http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/hardware/lowprofile.html) and the round "Newport" dorade boxes on my 1990 C34.  The dorades fit perfectly over the existing mushroom vents.  They look great; I like the unpretentious (IMO) look of the fiberglass dorades that seem to be practically built into the existing deck. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Jon Schneider

PS: The dorade boxes can be found at the same company, e-marine: http://www.e-marine-inc.com/products/hardware/newport.html
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Ron Hill

Jon : How about a picture of your installation - sounds interesting !   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

clifford Rieders

I lost one of mine overboard. I had painted both of the originals with the bronze engine paint and hence they matched the teak nicely. Was a cool and inexpensive improvement. I can't seem to find a new one however, since mine were 3 /14 inches and all the new ones are for 3 inch openings. Cliff c34, tall rig, 1990, #1022

clifford Rieders

Jon, I am not sure what the new Dorade went over. You just removed the vent and the dorage went over the existing "dorage" with a new vent? As someone asked, any photo? Cliff c34, 1990, tall rig

Jon Schneider

Okay Ron and Cliff, here are some pix.  I couldn't compress them enough to fit more than one per post, so I'll make a few different postings. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Jon Schneider

and another
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA