Covering the "Snow Goose"

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

For what it's worth, the Canvass Store's cover came, and with a bit of applied logic as to how it was to be installed, we were very successful.  I took the main's sail cover off, and dropped the luff from the track in the mast, so that it laid flat.  I lowered the Dutch furling system and attached just the topping lift to the boom end so as to keep the UV from the monofilament.  The cover then went over the main and the boom with nary a wrinkle.

The tie-downs were put in place, and a 4-6" space was left around the deck for breathing area.  With the horizontal hatches in the cracked open position, the hull should have more than enough ventilation.

First time, it took us about 2 hours, with firguing out the placement and cutting and tying the cord to the cover and stanchions.

Peter

SteveLyle

PLKennedy

$1250.  At $10 per foot for shrink wrapping, it'll pay for itself in 4 years time, without the strain on the stanchions.

Peter

Dave Veenhuis

Peter, Susan,

Does it cover the entire boat and would it cover a bimini?

PLKennedy

The cover goes over the entire topside.  The bimini frame stays in place, since the base of the frame fits outside the tent cover; I tied the frame to the twin backstays.

I did undo the dodger frame at the bases and laid it down over the hatch.

Come recommissioning time, it should be an easy matter to remove the cover, attach the dodger frame and attach the Dutch furling system to the topping lift, and slide the luff of the main on the mast.  

Peter