Stern Rail

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

The stern rail on the 1989 models doesn't appear to have the brace in the middle.  Has anyone installed a 1989 rail on an older boat.  I have to replace mine due to storm damage and would like this version.  I realixe the rear mounts are different, but the boat should be the same at that location,

Steve
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Steve : On the standard transom boats there is a HORIZONTAL brace in the lower center between the verticals on either side of where the boarding ladder comes up. 
I know of some people the have removed that horizontal brace, so they don't have to step over it when using the ladder!!  I've always thought that was foolish as that brace adds integral strength to the stern pulpit.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Rick Johnson

Not sure about the 89, but a 90 with the moulded swim-step would have the Stern Pulpit your talking about.  Mine has the walk-through transom but there were others without that feature.  I added a picture of the other style of transom.  I think it would fit on the older boats, but measure twice....

Cheers,

Rick

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

sedelange

That's the one I was curious about.  I guess I need to find one to measure.  Sure looks like it would fit.  The rear mounts are obviously different, mine has two across the transom and the one in the picture has four. I would have to install mounting plates, because the rear wones are molded into the hull.

Steve
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Rick Johnson

Glad to help a fellow Texan.  Let me know if you need me to measure anything on my C34.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

sedelange

I am still trying to find someone with a late 1989 Catalina 34 with a split stern rail (see attached photo) so I can get the dimensions of the bases.  Catalina parts says they can't build one without the measurements.  A local shop wanted 4K.  Anyone know where I can find one?

Steve DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Steve : I'd like to help, but don't understand your term "split stern rail"???  Note my post above. 
Your picture looks like a normal 1989 C34 - with the exception of the inhull fixed ports!   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

sedelange

Prior to 1989 and some of the early 1898 C34's had a sternrail that had 4 posts and the center rail went all the way around.  The later 1989 C34 had two piece stern rail with 3 posts each and no center rail in the back attaching the two sides.  This is similar to the 1990 setup except the ladder is different.  (See Attached).  I have a 1986 and i want to install a two piece sternrail, but Catalina parts needs the measurements from a boat that has the two piece unit.  When I tell them Iwhat I wanted to do, the parts person said it couldn't be done because the mounting would be different.  I realize the holes won't align and that doesn't present a real problem as I will modify the hull as necessary to fit the rail.  I would just like to do it before we paint the boat.

Steve E. DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Ron Hill

Steve : Think I finally figured out what you're looking for.
I'll guess that that you're looking for the measurements of a MKI stern rail (2 piece) for a walk thru transom.  I believe that the 2 piece stern rail for the 1990 C34 was the same for the "dimpled" transom as it was for the (1st year) walk thru transom. 
All of the other MKIs had a 1 piece stern rail (standard transom) with the middle horizontal piece going all the way around.   
Hope this helps.  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

tsteele5467

Hi Steve;
Our 1987 was struck in her slip several years ago and the stern rail was destroyed.  I contacted Catalina to see if they had a replacement rail with flying seats.  They did not but referred me to Dave at Railmakers Ink.  Back then (2002) Railmakers was still making all of the pullpits and pushpitts for Catalina.  They have the jigs for all of the 34's.  I spoke with Dave and he made up a new pushpit in 2 pieces with flying seats for around $800.00 plus shipping to Michigan at that time.  The number I have for them is (949) 642-7773.  If you just want a replacement of the original pushpit they should be able to help you.
Regards
Tom Steele
Windseeker

sedelange

The new sternrail that I had manufactured.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

steve stoneback

Steve,
I have a 1989 (#918) standard transom with a split stern rail that does not and has never had a center rail.  Is that what you are looking for?
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Footloose

Steve,

I have been considering having something made like what you are showing.  I cannot tell from the picture where your back stays run.  Have you changed the or do they come down in front of the seats?
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

sail4dale

Speaking of stern rail and ladder, has anyone within a Mk II found a practical (not too costly) method to release the ladder from the water in case of an overboard situation?  Catalina furnishes this on the newer boats but I'm told it is not able to be retrofitted  :cry4` Sure would be a great safety device.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

sedelange

Dave:

The backstays wiil come down in front of the seats towards the inboard edge of the seat.  I will take additional pictures when we step the mast.

Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas