Air conditioning

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

The A/C on my boat is installed in the locker aft of the nav station.  Besides a waste of valuable storage space, the unit is installed with the evaporator 1/2 inch from the forward wall without a grille.  I am considering moving the unit to the area under the V-berth on the starboard side aft of the water tank.  I was looking at the installations in the project page but I was thinking of running ducts behind the dinette and settee seat backs just below the shelf.  Has anyone attempted to run ductwork in this area?  I was hoping to install larger ducts that way to improve air flow.

Steve E. DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Steve S.

Steve,  My aircon unit is in the nav locker also.  I have run three ducts from that location.  One just flips around and exits a grill on the nav station itself.  The second runs a 4" duct behind and below the elec panel, comes up through the floor of the cabinet (just before the v-berth bulkhead and then exits just above the port locker in the v-berth. The third goes back behind the head (there is alot of spce between the fiberglass shell of the head an dthe hull) up over the fuel tank and then exits into the rear salon.  I used an electrical snake to get behind areas and then pulled the ducts through. 
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

The person that set up my systems decided to use 2 a/c units.  The main is a 12000 btu unit located under the forward salon settee.  3 -  4" ducts run aft, 2 turn up mid cabin to outlets over the cabinet, the third continues past the water tank under the  galley counter exiting in a nozzle pointing at the head door.  It has inlets under the salon table and the forward cabin bulkhead.  I wish they had continued the galley vent behind the stove to cool the aft cabin.  We accomplish that now with a fan when extra cooling is needed.  The second smaller 6000 btu unit is mounted under the Vee berth and feeds 4" vee berth outlets, one on each side of the boat that exit blowing forward from the hanging locker/drawer cabinet.  18000 btu I think is over kill for a 34' boat, but I don't complain on hot humiid summer days.   I think one 16000 btu unit under the front salon settee should be able to feed 3 4" lines, one forward to the Vee berth, one main cabin,  one aft somewhere.  Same could be said for one under the vee berth, but I think getting an intake vent large enough to feed it might be a problem.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sedelange

Stu,

I have examined those in detail.  I like the outlet in the bulkhead wall and i am considering ways to place one on the port bulkhead. I would like to increase the duct size, especially on the port side.  I think the overall efficeincy would be improved as well as airflow the the aft cabin, that is why I am considering routing the ducts through the area behind the seats. I also have a water tank under the Vberth so i will be restricted to placement on the stbd rear section of the area forward of the locker.
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Stu Jackson

Steve, great -- we look forward to seeing your photos and write ups!  Really!  I just wanted to make sure you'd seen those, and am glad you had and are looking for enhancements.  Good luck, and all the best,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."