Water Fill ports

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

I know this may be a stupid question, but I have only owned the boat a couple of weeks and I dont have a manual for a 1986 model.  How many water fill ports are there one a 1986 model Catalina 34?  I have one forward for the tank under the Vberth, one amidships for the one under the salon dinette, and one aft, just forward of the cowl vent.  I am curious as to what the aft one is connected.

Steve DeLange
1986,  #37
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Footloose

Steve,

The aft port goes to a tank in the rear lazerette.  It is under the propane tank.  If you look under the combing you should be able to follow the hoses.

My boat does not have a tank in the v-berth.  I believe that is a modification.  The original pumbing comes together at a small manifold under the galley sink so that tanks can be selected.

I believe you can download a copy of the manual from this web site by clinking on manuals.

Congradualtions on a good old boat.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Susan Ray

Though my C34 is a 1987, the vent marked WATER when i got it, on my port siide aft just in front of the cowl, is for the holding tank pump out, not water.
Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

RV61

Steve,
Congrats and Welcome Aboard. I have two water tanks. One aft under the cockpit behind the aft cabin.one starboard under the cushion  both are white poly. The Water fill ports are both on the starboard side  one midship deck and one the combing near the stern. I have two additional  ports. both On  the portside,  midship deck is the holding tank's port (tanks is black) and  the Fill on the  port combing near stern is the FUEL (the tank is stainlessbehind aft cabin removable panel on por side). In my case I never put water on the port side. The fuel fill port cap on mine is red. One thing I did when a bought the boat was to spend a lot of time learning all the systems and labeling hoses and electric wiring them as I went along.

If you have not done so the best investment I have made was joining the association and reading those technotes .FAQs and message board.
:thumb:
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

Steve

Find the manuals here:  http://www.c34.org/manuals/index.htm

Also check out the Guide to the C34 Website Technical Info: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=2629.0
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

sedelange

The manual at  http://www.c34.org/manuals/index.htm is for a 1987 model and it shows the aft and amidships tanks.  I already printed out that manual.  I have no tank in the lazerette and i don't have a propane bottle either.  This boat came with a CNG stove and a bottle located in the aft cabin.  There is a 1 1/2" black hose connected to my aft water fill, indicating that it might be a waste drain, but I also have a waste drain located on the port side over the holding tank.  Why would there be two waste drains?  I guess i am going to trace where the line goes.

Steve DeLange
1986, #37
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Stu Jackson

Steve, you're right, tracing the lines is the only thing to do.  I am aware that some of the earlier boats came with aft and V berth tanks, then aft and starboard, didn't know some may have not have had the aft tank.  There were a lot of differences in the first year or two of production.  What we did, when we traced things out, was to edit and mark up our own printed manual to record what was different.  The water fill line is a "1 1/2 inch black lines" on the aft tank, and a 1 inch line to the starboard tank on our boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Steve : The 1986 C34s came with a Vberth and starboard water tanks with fills on the starboard side.  I'm not to sure what the fill in the aft under the cowling vents is , but if it's on the port side - that "fill" is the pump out for the holding tank or the diesel fuel tank fill!!   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

sedelange

Found out today that the aft water fill stops under the aft berth.  I also found a water line under the berth.  It appears that there may have been a water tank uncer the aft berth at some point in time.  Tank isn't there now.

Steve DeLange
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Andrew Harvey

Just to throw something else out there, our aft water tank is a black vinyl bladder bag located under the aft cabin.
There are 2 plastic gate valves installed under the galley sink to control which tank to draw water from.
The tank we use is located in the V Berth. There is no evidence that this production version ever had a settee tank.
Andrew

Andrew Harvey