New Dodger

Previous topic - Next topic

HydroTherapy

Hello Everybody,

This time of the year I always think of improvements to make on my 1987 C34 #366.  My boat has the old style dodger that is very low.  I believe it is original and have seen this style on many boat of my vintage.  I would like to purchase a new dodger and possibly a new Bimini that are on the new C34's with more room under them.  I think this would make a good upgrade.  Does anybody have any suggestions or photos to email me?  Any input on my possible decision to get a new dodger would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
:D
David
saildavidsail@optonline.net

Ron Hill

David : I'm out cruising and don't have the speeds necessary to send photo's so here are some suggestions:
1.  Make sure that the front and rear rails of the dodger are the same height and that both you and your 1st Mate can either see under or over the dodger.  I can see over and my 1st mate can see under.
2.  I added hand rails to both sides and the rear.  The side rails are really handy and also make the dodger frame more rigid.
3.  Consider having the front windshield completely zip out.  I only put mine in when it's foul weather or rain.  You'd be surprised how nice and clear it stays when it's only in for part of the time( my 1998 dodger has a newlooking windshield).
4.  Have your Bimini rails attach to the stern pulpit.  It makes it a stronger installation and gets rails more out of the way for docking.
5.  I have a blue dodger, but a white Bimini and connecting piece(between the two).  I wouldn't recommend a dark color for the Bimini - it's too hot in the sunshine.
6.  Make sure that the connecting piece is a wide as possible - that keeps rain from running into the cockpit.
7.  It'll cost a few more $$ but have your sunbrilla sewn with Kevlar thread.  The first thing to go on a dodger or Bimini is the stitching!!
A few thoughts.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

joe

i just put a new bimini on my 1988 and am pleased with it . the main bimini has 6foot 1 inch head room. the part over the helm is higher and allows the captain to see the sails. i will get some photos and post. joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

HydroTherapy

Thanks for the input. 

Ron..........I look forward to getting some photos when you get a chance.

David

Richard Bain

Hi David

I just sent you an email with a photo of my new canvas. Note the Bimini is attached to the stern rail for wider protection.
Ron is right about zip out windows!
Any questions just fire away!

Richard
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Howard Armstrong

We had ours redone last fall and had the zip out windshield and love it. We also had sunberella covers made for the windshield and side windows that go inplace to keep the sun off when we are gone. this should keep the plastic looking good for years. i wished i had thought of the kevlar thread that sound like a good idea.

steve stoneback

Richard & Ron,
Would you please post pictures on this site.  I too am interested in at least a new dodger and possibly a new bimini.
Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Richard Bain

Not sure how to post the photo??
Richard
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Gary

dodger photos.  At 5'8" visibilty standing is fair and sitting perfect.  The center window rolls for tying at the top edge.  If left rolled in the sun a stain develops so I would prefer a removable window.
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Gary

sorry all...can not seem to get the photos to attach to the above post!
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Sailor Vic

I love my hard dodger.  :D

It also has covers for the clear plastic.

Make sure that whomever designs/makes them has an overlap on top so that the water doesn't get under the covers.

http://www.catalina34.com/images/hard_dodger.jpg
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Stu Jackson

1.  Reply

2.  Additional Options - scroll down to below the type-in box

3.  Browse to find your photo file - on your hard drive (note max. file size allowable)

4.  Post - use the button to post the photo and message

I also recommend you keep the dodger low, that way when you're standing you can see over it and not have to look through plastic all the time you're sailing your boat.

Our old dodger had covers for the plastic, this new dodger has a full dodger cover.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

For more dodger photos, do a search on the words PHOTO and then DODGER, there are some posts with pictures.  You'll have to scroll through the subjects.  Some are on traveler lines led aft that show dodgers.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."