Shower Sump Pump

Previous topic - Next topic

sedelange

The PO removed the shower sump pump and allowed the shower to drain into the bilge.  Consequently, I have no idea what pump to intall.  Does anyone know the manufacturer and model of the pump?

Steve E. DeLange
1986, #37
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Susan Ray

I have model #31595-0292 of ITT Jabsco (http://www.jabsco.com) but most any good fresh water pump (that will run dry also) will do. Good Luck.Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ron Hill

Steve : The original MKI boats came with a diaphragm pump that was drained (doubled) into the head intake water thru hull. 
You can use any rotary pump to do the same job. 
Just make sure that you install a filter and then a one way valve in that line before the pump.  Your line is made for 3/4" hose.  If the PO didn't leave you a hose to connect to there's an article in the late 90s Mainsheet Tech notes on how to cut a hole in the subfloor and connect a hose.  Hope this helps.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

sedelange

The PO left the hose and the suction break, they are just disconnected.  There is already a hole in the fiberglass below the flooring where he removed the hose clamps.  Apparently, the sump drain was removed and the A/C water inlet was connected to the thru-hull fitting.

Steve E. DeLange

1986, #37
Steve E DeLange
1986 C34,   1971 C27
Galveston Bay, Texas

Brad Young

Quote from: Ron Hill on September 19, 2006, 07:15:55 PM
Steve : The original MKI boats came with a diaphragm pump that was drained (doubled) into the head intake water thru hull. 
Ron, our sump pump is drained( doubled) into the head sink drain. The Admiral does not like the bubble back flow into the sink. Can I route this to the head intake? Seems like a simple task to do to keep the Admiral happy.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Dave Spencer

Picking up on an 11 year old thread, the short answer is yes. The shower sump can be doubled with the head water intake. That's how it is on my boat and, although we rarely use the shower, I like the arrangement since it makes it easy to winterize the head.  I close the through hull, turn on the shower sump pump and pour antifreeze down the shower drain while pumping the head.
Changing your setup is an easy, no risk thing to do to keep the admiral happy.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Brad,

Lots of flexibility:

Head Odors 101.1 - "T" into sink drain:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5755.msg38216.html#msg38216

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hugh17

I am replacing my shower pump with a diaphragm type pump & filter between the shower drain and pump. I've noticed that the hose connection for the shower drain is not accessible. I've removed the teak flooring outside the head and considering installing an access port in the fiberglass floor to gain access to the hose clamp on the shower drain. Has anyone else done this?
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Noah

Yep! I installed a large Beckson inspection port under the teak sole. Very handi to have that hole.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Braxton

So is there any harm in letting the shower drain directly into the bilge?   It seems like it all ends up overboard so it shouldn't matter.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSo is there any harm in letting the shower drain directly into the bilge?   It seems like it all ends up overboard so it shouldn't matter.

Some boats do that.  The harm is a stinky dirty bilge.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Braxton on June 20, 2017, 10:18:13 AM
So is there any harm in letting the shower drain directly into the bilge?   It seems like it all ends up overboard so it shouldn't matter.

One of the major causes of odors on boats.  You wouldn't believe the crap that comes off our bodies.  Don't do it.  Please.

It's one of Peggie Hall's Top Ten Dumb Ideas.

The C30s used to do that, and then their smart skippers bought sump boxes with pumps.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Hugh17

Quote from: Noah on June 20, 2017, 07:26:09 AM
Yep! I installed a large Beckson inspection port under the teak sole. Very handi to have that hole.
ok, glad to hear that someone else has cut an access hole. Can you tell me how large or what size inspection plate you used? Also how much room is under the floor there? I've considered installing a shower sump pump in a pan under the floor if possible.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on June 20, 2017, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: Noah on June 20, 2017, 07:26:09 AM
ok, glad to hear that someone else has cut an access hole. Can you tell me how large or what size inspection plate you used? Also how much room is under the floor there? I've considered installing a shower sump pump in a pan under the floor if possible.

The May 2001 Tech Notes (and Online for C34IA members) has "the" article about how to cut a hole in the fiberglass floor under the teak & holly sole right in front of the door to the head.  The article uses a square opening trimmed with aluminum angles, but Noah's idea of a Beckson port is simpler and is just as effective.

You do NOT want to put a box with a pump inside it at that location.  You want a remote pump. The boats came with a diaphragm pump located under the head sink area, outboard of the muffler, with a switch on the vertical panel below the sink  and wired to the sump pump switch on the main electrical panel.  This is shown in the boat manual in the Plumbing section.  Sump box, hose, check valve (to prevent backflow into the sump), vented loop, diaphragm pump, thru hull.  The diaphragm pump is the proper selection of pump because it can provide enough lift to assure water flow without having to worry about priming the pump, and be run dry without damage to the pump.

Fred Koehlmann

On our C34 Mk II the shower drain went to the same pump as the icebox drain, under the galley sink. Not sure if the MkI has/had a pump for that, but that would also be a potential option. It was easy to get to both pump and values.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine