Traveller Upgrade

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I finally got it installed last month.  What a difference! If you are considering the upgrade, DO IT!  Installation was straight forward.  Removed the end stop plate on the stbd side by drilling out the corroded stainless machine screw.  Even after 2 days of soaking the large machine screws on the end pieces with PB Blaster, still took a big set of vice grips to break them loose and unscrew them.  Slid the old pieces off, They were is such bad shape they went right into the trash so i wasn't worried about keeping the bearings in place.  Slide the new parts in place, re-tapped the end plate bolt and reinstalled it.  I chose to run the lines forward to a turning block (like Juliandra's, Thanks for the Pictures and help!) then back to the cockpit to avoid holes in the dodger.  The procedure has been written up several times so this is just the highlights.  It took a while to find pictures of the line routing, pictures attached to help the next guy when he searches  :D
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Nice job, thanks for the photos.  One thing to add:  when replacing those bolts always use Lanocote.  It will allow you to remove them.  Anytime you install a bolts, anywhere, use that stuff or an equivalent, and it will avoid having to do what Ken had to do with the PB Blaster and vice grips.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."