bicycle

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Armstrong

i have a 1988 model and was wondering if anyone had found a good way to carry two full size, non folding bikes? The last trip i lashed them to the side stays, that is fine for motoring but got the jib sheet tangled in the handlebars when tacking. i am not ready to spend the money for good folding bike yet but that may be the only option.
Thanks
Howard

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Is there a possibility you can lash them to the stern rail? I haven't tried this nor do I know how much stuff you already have hanging off the back but i seems feasable.
                                                                                                        :D
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Mike Smith

Check with a bike shop - they may be able to fit a standard car bike rack to the stern pulpit.

Mike

Bob Kuba

We have 2 full size Trek hybrid bikes that we have taken along on our sailing trips. We have experienced conditions ranging from 20-25 knot winds with 3-5 ft. seas, to 10-12 knot winds where we have flown the cruising spinnaker for extended periods of up to 6 hours. and we haven't snagged a line yet.

We put the bikes on the cabin top, handelbars aft, with the wheel rims anchored at the bottom to the grab rail with velcro straps. The bikes are allowed to lean outboard towards the shrouds. The metal frame never touches any part of the boat. The top of each wheel has a velcro strap that wraps around the forward shroud for the rear wheel, and the lower shroud for the front wheel. It's more rigid than it sounds, and the bikes don't move around at all.

The handlebars are loosened and then aligned fore-aft with the centerline of the boat. That has prevented any snags so far. If you're worried about tacking, simply roll up the head sail a bit, tack, and then roll it back out again. the small inconvienence is well worth having the extra mobility to explore at the other end of your trip. The bikes are then locked to the upper shroud to make sure they remain on the boat while we aren't around.

Both bikes can be tied on in less than 10 minutes. I haven't tried this while swinging on the hook yet, but I haven't dropped one overboard yet either.
Bob Kuba, C34IA Past Commodore

Ted Pounds

My neighbor with a C36 got some SS tubing and fittings used for dodger/bimini frames and made his own bike rack for the pushpit.  It was pretty simple; just a couple horizontal sections with diagonal braces.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

David Sanner

I've stuck two in the aft cabin (the garage as some call it).  Not too tricky once
you get the hang of bringing them down the companionway.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay