Fill Cap "Lanyards"

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Over the years, more horror stories have been written about losing the danged caps over the side because of the lanyards, or the breaking thereof.

Yesterdays post gave a source for the older plastic caps.

Given the problems experienced, we have taken to BREAKING THE CHAIN and placing the caps in a secure location whenever we atke one off, and not depending on the little chains EVER.  Besides, especially for the pumpout cap, they get in the way.  Why bother?

It's a great way to save a few bucks for something else that's really necessary for your boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PLKennedy

What a great insight, Stu.  One of my chains came broken, adn I have been struggling to fix it; but no more.  As to the waste cap, we haven't used it yet, as we go outside the three mile limit regularly.  Had I, I think I would have come up with your solution.

Peter

Jim Rose

In the past I have used LOCTITE on the threads.  One drop prevents loosening, even under vibration.  It's still a good idea to have the chain attached to the deck fill caps.

bjmansfield

Something else you need to watch with the plastic deck fill caps is the "O" ring. The condition of the fill cap is irrelevant if the O-ring is cracked/splitting or missing.
Apparently a standard size as our local hardware store carries them.