What size whisker pole?

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

What diameter whisker pole are people using out there?  I'm planning to get one, and am wondering if I need to go with a very heavy duty (2" diameter), or if a lighter pole will get the job done just fine.  My boat is in San Francisco Bay; might do an occasional coastal short hop; no really heavy duty cruising.  I've jury rigged my aluminum telescoping boat hook pole into a makeshift whisker pole on occasion and it seemed to work just fine (if a little short).  I'm thinking something pretty light should work just fine.
I appreciate the input!
Wayne
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

rirvine

Wayne:

If you do not want to end up with two halves some time in your future, I would suggest that you go with the heavier pole – something like:

Forespar   402200   LC 12-22 UXP-UTR

If you search online, you should find them for around $720.00 + freight.

I also sail on San Francisco Bay and use this pole.

Ray

Jim Price

Wayne, I agree with Ray on the larger pole.  If you have the bucks, look at the LC-12-22 "Combo" - Aluminum and carbon fiber pole.  This one costs more but only weighs about 22 pounds.  I personally have the LC 13-24 UTS UTR Combo system.  About 30 pounds.  Heaver, but uses 3.0/3.5" tubes instead of 2.5/3.0" tubes.

I bought larger system to use now and in the future when I upgrade to larger boat.  One thing less to buy later- especially since the poles can be expensive.  The 12-22 carbon fiber combo is probably best size and weight for C34 if that is your final boat.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

rirvine

Wayne/Jim:

One note on the combo whisker pole – it cannot be used in racing under the Catalina 34 one design rules.  The rules say - the whisker poles shall be a minimum of 90% aluminum content with a maximum length of 16' 9" including fittings. The pole end fittings may be of any material.

Take care, Ray

Jim Price

True in most racing fleets - some type of limitation - need to check your own specs. 

But I am just a crusier that races only boats going in the same direction I going in at any time.  So I can cheat a little... :twisted:
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA