moisture under engine guages

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I have some moisture inside the glass (plastic?) lens covers of the engine guages.  Is this an indication of a serious moisture problem that could cause problems with the guages in the future or is it no big deal?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : When there's high humidity moisture will condense on the inside glass of your engine gages (just like it does in your fuel tank above the fuel level!!)  If the moisture stays inside the gage glass it usually means that the instrument light is burned out.  Those lights create heat evaporating that moisture and are meant to be on when the engine is on - day & night!!
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Depending on how your boat is wired, you may have to run your running lights to get the gage lights to work.  Unusual? Yes, but this is, after all, a Catalina.   :abd:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roc

My guages have been like that since brand new.  Foggy at first, but the moisture dissipates as the lights heat it up.  Annoying, but have never caused any problems.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Guys : Catalina would have to have gone thru some EXTRAORDINARY wiring to make the engine gage lights to only turn on with the running lights!!! 
Teleflex purposely has the lights to go ON when the engine is running/key switch ON, for the reason of keeping the gages dryed out.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

David Arnold

Thanks everyone.  I guess I have nothing to worry about :clap
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707