Coast Guard Reg # location question

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

I went the registered vessel route with my boat, and now I need to permanently mount my newly aquired number somewhere on the inside of the hull.  I am thinking of putting it inside the compartment in the head that accesses the thru hulls.  I assume that the fiberglass to which the hose loops are mounted is the inside of the hull (not part of a liner).  Any comments or advice re this plan?
Thanks for your comments!
Wayne
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Joe Kern

Sounds like it will work to me.  I have not had an official inspection to see whether it passes muster, but I followed the lead of some others and put my documentaion numbers on the port side inside the port seat storage area.  Got the right size letters and glassed them over to the side wall.  Not sure if technically that is the hull but I have heard the CG seems ok with it.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

salsailor

I've just purchased my vessel which is coast guard registered also. The previous owner has the number carved on a piece of wood that mounted insided the cabin. My surveyor said it does not meet coast guard requirement. He recommended me to put the number on the inside hall in the V berth storage. That should work, but I've not got the documment back to me yet. I guess I'll just glass/glue the letter to the hall should be ok.

Ron Hill

Wayne : Way Back When, the rule was that the documentation numbers had to be "carved" into the keel or on a wooden board that was "firmly (permanently) affixed to the hull".  My numbers on a board are epoxied to the hull.
I'd guess that if you contact the Documentation Center in WV @ (800)799-8362 they can tell you where & how the USCG requires the documentation numbers to be displayed.  Infact when I received my first documentation certificate they had enclosed a paper with those specific type instructions.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The PO of my boat had a fancy wooden plaque made with the documentation numbers routed in the wood but it's not mounted on anything so I'm sure it's not legal. Can I mount this plaque to something solid or do the numbers have to be etched in the fiberglass?
I think Ron may have answered my question as his post came on as I was typing this question.
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

FINALLY :clap  I never thought I'd see the day for ONLY the second actual use for 3M 5200 (other than a hull to deck joint).   :rolling
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jeff Kaplan

when i had #219 documented 2 years ago, i had the #'s carved into a piece of wood. i spoke to a coast guard officer and asked him where to mount it and he told me to permanently affix it to the hull,inside the boat, in an out of sight place. i applied a heavy coat of 5200 and put it on the hull right under the nav. table. perfect fit, out of plain sight but can be seen, if told where to look  just a thought...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma