Does anyone recognize thic clip

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

This is half of a retaining clip that hit the cockpit floor while we were sailing last week. I looked all around for something missing but couldn't find anything. Now that I'm awaw from the boat, I'm wondering if it could be from the wheel shaft. The clip is about one inch diameter inside. I cant think of anything that big coming from the mast or standing rigging. Any ideas?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Joe Kern

Yes.  It looks like half the retaining clip that goes on old-style  edson wheel system (the brake is on the side and not on the wheel hub).  Take off your wheel nut.  There should be a clip that goes into a groove on the wheel shaft.  I vaguely remember it from when I took my wheel off to install an autopilot on my 270.  I think the proper term is "shaft key" or something like that.  I beleive you can order them as part of a Pedestal maintenance kit (see below).

Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Mike Vaccaro

That's what it is.  Your best bet is a stainless replacement, but you can get by with any appropriately sized snap ring and grease to prevent corrosion until you get a stainless replacement.  If the other half of the ring is still installed, it's probably preventing the wheel from sliding forward on the spindle. 

Buy an extra replacement, since you're likely to need it in the future.  We remove the wheel and inspect the ring occasionally, and slather a coat of Lanicote on it to prevent corrosion. 

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

Ron Hill

Joe nailed it!!  It's the broken half of the retaining "C" clip.  As mentioned you need to find the other half.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

What is the worst case senario on this clip coming out? Could I have lost my steering? Is this something that I can get at WM or do I have to go to Edson? Also I hear alot about Lanacote but have not found a source. The local drugstore will special order a 1 pound jar for me and I've also seen it on the net but do you know of a retail store that sells it?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ron Hill

Mike : Contact Edson to get stainless "C" clips.  Try West Marine for the lanacote (or waterproof grease does the same job)  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Tom Glennon

The C clip on my 30 broke years ago... the worst thing is that there will be some fore-and-aft slippage of the wheel. :D
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts

Roger Blake

Mike--My clip broke last season and I had trouble finding a replacement, or anything that would fit, from local shops (including Home Depot, marine chandleries, etc.). I called Edson and they sent me 2 clips at no charge.
Last Call
1998 C34 MK II
Hull #1414