Where to Purchase genoa for my new Cat. 34

Previous topic - Next topic

Skipperjay

I am in the process of purchasing an 04 Cat. 34 standard rig fin keel. It only has a 110 genoa head sail. I would like to purchase
an 135 or 150 genoa. I will sail doing most of my sailing in the LA. So. Calif. area with 10-15 kt winds so a larger genoa would be helpful.
Would appreciate recommendations as to size and source.

Please email at: goldmill@sbcglobal.net

Thanks,

JLG

Stu Jackson

JLG

If you haven't yet, a search on the word "sails" has quite a bit of advice on purchasing sails.  You may want to consider one recommendation to purchase a used sail first until you get to know your boat.  Catalina makes 'em too.

Welcome aboard, and we'll do everything we can to help you.

OBTW, you made a great choice in a boat! :thumb:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Heyman

I just bought a jib for another boat from "Bacon" sails. They simply take used sails in -rate them as to quality & put them on their web site. I bought a Catalina 22 100% jib for $135.00 rated as "very good" and its just that.Take a  look. If you can't find the site or their phone I can dig it out.

Good luck,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

rirvine

I would recommend that you find a local sail maker and form a long term relationship with him.  He will come and show you how to get the best from your sail on your boat, how to set you boat up from the sail etc.   Yes, you will pay a little more than the mail order places but you will have a better sail and a happier experience.

Have fun,  Ray

Rick Johnson

I would second the Bacon Sails suggestion.  Lost my 110% when I moved to Texas.  Bacon had a Good+ 130% which even the local sail loft says was a great deal.  Buy new if you want, but Bacon is worth the web search...

Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Ken Juul

Don't forget to check the "for Sale" items link on the General Activities page.  Currently one 155% for a tall rig.  I found my replacement genoa there a couple years ago.

Find it here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?board=13.0
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon Schneider

I sail in the northeast where the winds are highly variable, but usually 10-20.  I've had a 135 and a 150.  I found the 150 to be a bit unwieldy and tougher to handle. (I usually single-hand.)  I had a 140 pentex radial built this year by a local loft in Connecticut, Kappa Sails (owned by a former America's Cup racer).  I've never had such an incredible sail in my life, and I think the 140 is the perfect size (I'm not a racer).  It's fine up to 20 knots (then I furl).  Below 10 knots, I often break out my reacher (a sail you should definitely consider in southern CA; the equivalent of a light-air 170 that sets like an asym). 

You probably owe it to yourself to check out the big three lofts: North, Doyle, and UK.  I believe Quantum makes a superior, high-tech sail.  I think the best, classic cross-cut genny comes from Hood (I don't think they have a local loft, but their service is outstanding, so I wouldn't worry about the "mail order" aspect.)  Pineapple's a great loft in SF.  And I don't think there's a better sail than my own from Kappa.  The owner, Clarke Bassett, knows our boats incredibly well, and would certainly be capable of advising you long distance (tell him I sent you). 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

jmnpe

Another positive feedback for Bacon. I had a very good experience with them, and a number of active sailors I know on the Texas Gulf coast have had similar experiences. They rate their used sails what I would consider very conservatively. Most of the people I know that have used them would have rated the sails they got at least 1 or 2 levels higher than advertised. Not only that, their web site has an inventory search tool that is great: just tell it what kind of boat you have and what sail you are looking for, and it will spit out a whole list of candidate sails.

Have a look: www. baconsails.com

John
John Nixon
Otra Vez
1988 Hull # 728