replacing stove CNG to LPG (propane)

Previous topic - Next topic

charles kaufman

I have a 1986 C34 that has a GSI ,CNG stove . is there anyway to change over to lp or do I need to buy a new stove ?

Ron Hill

Chuck : You sure can convert a GNG stove over to burn propane.  Look in the Mainsteet Tech note and there's an article on what you have to do written in the late 1990s.  As I recall you need new burner heads and a vented sealed box/container
for the propane bottle. 
Can be fairly easily done, just read the article on what you need to do.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Susan Ray

Charles... wondering why you want to convert it? CNG rises and dissapates, does not sink into the bilge, as propane does, in case of a leak, it burns the same and is easy to get ( in the mainland). You can put the tank anywhere you can secure it and not vent it without worry of accumulated explosive gas in the bottom of your boat. I have CNG. It works fine.
Susan
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Ron Hill

Susan : CNG is definitely safer, but it's getting harder to find and the price is going up.  If you happen to go to the Bahamas you'll want propane.  Propane can be found at almost every trailer park, gas station and some marines.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

RV61

Chuck,
I considered converting to propane this past spring due to availability issues here in Ohio. I Spoke to Seaward the maker of the CNG stove found in my 1986 and the cost was approx $1,000.00. They have all the parts to do the change out. In the meantime bought an electric skillet and hot plate to use when plugged into shore power. We also bought  a camping propane hot plate and have a propane grill for when on the hook. The marina that had the supply issue to fill the CNG tanks solved the problem however a fill now is over $50.00 but the cost of the conversion I can buy a lot of CNG. we will only use the stove when we need to bake and on a hook to conserve as before we used about 2 bottles a year and now we will use less than one.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Andrew Harvey

I switched to propane 2 years ago. I think the Seaward parts were about 200.00 Purchased a 10 lb steel tank and built my own vented box. Regulator and hose was purchared locally. The total  cost was about $500.00 Propane heats a lot faster and you can buy it any where.
Andrew
Andrew Harvey

charles kaufman

Thanks all for your help. I am going to switch to lp because of availability in Mexico and South I now have lots of info to go on.       Chuck