Cleaning up the bilge

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Denest

Ok guys, while I was wrestling with the exhaust riser/hump hose change, I looked at the areas of the boat not normally seen, like under the floorboards.  I'd like to clean up the dirt and grime that has built up over the years and wanted to ask this forum what you used to clean the bilge areas and how you did it.  I'd like to do a good washdown of these areas and I'm basically looking for a good cleaner/degreaser that is bio-degradable.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

Mike : I had a similar incident when I didn't get the oil dip stick completely engaged!! 
What I used was a liquid dishwasher (low sudsing) detergent.  It cleaned up the oil and I let the bilge pump take it out the back.  Gave the bilge pump a good check out!!   :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Norris Johnson

As a degreaser, I've had real good luck with DAWN dishwashing soap. I know it sounds cheap and simple, but it works. Mix it with water, put it down, and let it sit for about 15 mins. For heavy crud, it may take another treatment, and some scrubbing. Good luck!
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Mike Denest

Quote from: Ron Hill on August 21, 2006, 05:42:07 PM
Mike : I had a similar incident when I didn't get the oil dip stick completely engaged!!

Yup, guilty as charged!  I didn't push the dipstick all the way down.  I'll mop up some of the mess first with paper towels then go to the washdown.
Michael and Diane Denest
Whisper #680
1988 Tall Rig Wing Keel
Rock Hall, MD

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Simple Green also works pretty good and is bio-degradable.    :D
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net