New Boat hose clamps loose

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Clay

I have read to check the hose clamps on the new Catalina. I had planned to do that this last weekend, we have owned the 34 for 3 weeks. When we arrived at the boat I found the water tank empty, after filling the tank and running the water pump I found the line from the hot water tank had come off.

I reinstalled the hose and checked all inside water and waste lines. Found 2 others that were not tight enough. I plan to check the fuel and any other lines in the cockpit this weekend.

I have also cleaned out the bilge, want to see if it stays dry. If not I plan on adding the shaft packing others have recommended.

So far dearler has taken care of any problems that have come up. I mentioned the hoses after I fixed it, the dealer was appreciative that I just took care of it. Wind gauge has quit working, dealer is going to replace the unit at top of mast.

So far really enjoying the boat, friends comment on the value and quality of the boat.
Tom and Lynn Clay
2006 34' Hull #1760......Somewhere
Olympia, Wa.

Wayne

I've had the same experience on my two month old boat.  Went through my whole system and tightened all the clambs last weekend.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

willie

My hot water hose fell off as well, and other fitting were loose and leaking.

Sailor Vic

Same thing with me.

Within a week of taking delivery of my new 2005 model a water pipe right by my water heater blew off.

All the other stainless steel clamps weren't tight as well.

Catalina didn't know by then?

Quality control?

Vic
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.

Ron Hill

Guys : Look at this post on the same topic of a few days ago!!   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3114.0   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

There's also an earlier one: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3040.0

Also, please see Mike Smith's post:  "Check your hose clamps today!!"  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=458.0

Vic and others have made a very good point that regardless of how new your boat is, the dealer just isn't gonna be there for you when the hoses pop off their barbs.

So, you can stand on your principles and argue that the factory/dealer shoulda done it, as you watch your bilge fill up, OR you can just fix 'em and figure you've got at least the next 20 years ahead of you doing the same thing that we have been doing for these last 20 years. That's why we're still floating.

Worst thing that can happen to you is you'll learn something more about your boat while your checkin' 'em out.

Maybe make note of which ones failed and keep writing your dealers and Catalina.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Wayne

Having tightened the clamps myself, I know that they are all checked and tightened.  Some are in locations that are a bit of a challenge, and leaving it to someone else to do I would always wonder if they made the extra effort to get the tought ones.

I'm also now being a little neurotic about always turning off the water pressure pump.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Stu Jackson

Wayne, good idea to turn off your water pump.  One thing I have been doing is: after the pump is turned off, drain the water out by opening a faucet to relieve the pressure in the system.  We do this whenever we leave the boat, and sometimes during the day when we're not going to be using the water when we're on board.  We also use the hot water even when the water heater is off, just to keep moving water through the heater to avoid stagnation and potential water odors.  Has been working well for eight years now.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

I agree with Stu that it's a good idea to turn off the water pump.  But I don't bleed the pressure.  That way when I turn it back on if it comes on right away I know there's a leak on the pressure side of the system.  Also it's good to be neurotic about closing all the through-hulls when you leave the boat - for the same reason.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Guys : Yes, the factory should have and yes, the dealer should have -- but guess who's the STUCKIE !!
It's alot like preflighting the aircraft. You're the guy flying it and if the engine quits, guess who's going to have to deal with it!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788