Rust stains on fiberglass

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Anyone know of a easy way to renove rust stains from fiberglass? I think one of my helpers used a steel wool pad for cleaning something in the cockpit last week and this weekend I have little rust freckles all over the place. I have reduced some of the stains with Simple green but not eliminated.
I've heard that oxalic acid works but am hoping for a simpler solution. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

FSR, fiberglass stain remover, made by both Davis and West Marine.  It's a blue gel.  We also use it to remvoe the bow "moustache" before rewaxing the forward section of the hull.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Lemon juice might work.  I use it to disolve the mustache.  Bought a pint, put a spray head on it, works great!
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Steve S.

The best I've found is CLR which you get at any home depot or hardware store. (Remember the old info-mercials.)  FSR works too but is 3x the price.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Joe Kern

Ken - After you use it to dissolve the ICW mustache do you have to rewax?

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Yes.  Or, wait'll it grows back and redo it over again! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Mike : Stu's correct on the FSR as it has oxalic acid in it. 
You can also get a dry powered cleanser called "Bar Keepers Friend" in the grocery store.  It also has oxalic acid and really works great.  I've found it to be better on deck stains than FSR.  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Thanks Everyone, I'll give them a try.
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

dave davis

One more input for cleaning off Rust Stains. There was a good article in Practical Sailor In the May 06 issue page 30. It concludes with the recommendation of Star Brite rust/stain remover and also recommends FSR.
Good luck, dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

Doug

2nd Bar Keepers Friend.
It's cheap, easy, and easy to get.
Doug
Noeta
1987 C34
Gig Harbor, Washington

ohana34

One word "Wink"
if you can find it works every time
Jim

ohana34

Spelled Whink. We use it in the boat yard all the time, NOTHING works better.
Usually get it at Ace hardware.
Jim

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

We decided to try the FSR since it is a gell thinking the powder cleanser type cleaners would be abraisive. The gell worked so well that we did the whole deck with it and it now sparkles and it did a great job on the rust. BTW my helper who used the steel wool should be out of the hospital any day now  :D
Thanks,
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net