Mid-Ship Cleats - Recent MKII's

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Has anyone with a relatively new MKII found a mid-ship cleat that will work with the outside t-tracks?  Every one I have found fits the track nicely but has too big a pin size to fit into the holes in the track.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Joe : Have you looked at the Schaefer Mid-ship cleats in the Defender Catalog on page 228 (upper right corner) ??   

They work on the 1 1/4" track and their unique design allow for up to 5/8" line to be looped thur the center.  The pins work in my 1 1/4" track!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Kern

Ron:  I bought what I beleive were the same ones from West.  They fit the track nicely but the pins did not fit the adjusting holes on the track (too big).  A customer service person at Sailnet spoke with Schaffer and got me the pin size  (don't have that info here at the office) so I am going to measure the track holes before I order and return anoher set. 

Do you feel that yours lock place securly enouigh that you are comfortable using them for a spring line under a load or for other somewhat heavy duty use?

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ron Hill

Joe : Guess I don't understand your reply - what's too big? the pins or the holes? 
I believe that the cleat pins and holes for a 1 1/4" track are both 5/16"(9mm) size.  I'm sure that Schaeffer's is a 5/16" pin; the question you should ask Garhauer is if their holes are 5/16"+??  I'm sure that you know that an exact 5/16" pin will not fit in an exact 5/16" hole!! - the hole must be a fraction larger!!
Mine fits fine, but I haven't nor need to moved it after it was installed!!    :think
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Ron, Is your midship cleat on the inboard track or some how on the rail?
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Phil : My mid ships cleats are on the most forward part of the inside track.  I don't have an outside track as it needs to be installed before the top deck is installed to the hull. 
Don't know of anyway to get a nut/backing on a flat headed bolt way out/underneath there, after the hull is assembled!!  I thought about screws, but don't believe they'd be strong enough.     :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Thank you Ron. I have looked at the rail & didn't think I could get to it to mount a cleat. I have thought about making a block that is rail high & tapered for & aft (to save toes) & bolting through the block. But thats down the list.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Joe Kern

Ron - The pins are too big for the holes which are too small.
Will be doing some checking/measuring.  I just want to get it on the track, set and then never move it except to take it off totally. 
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ken Juul

I have the outside track on my MK1.5.  Also have cleats at the foward end of each that I use for my springs.  Have not had a problem with them.  I had double springs on when Hurricane Isabel came through a few years ago.  Held fine.

I'll take a look for manufacturer and part number this weekend.  Let you know what I find on Monday.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Joe : If you don't plan on moving that cleat on the track, here's what I'd do.  You can take a 5/16" drill and make sure the hole is infact 5/16" or do the same with a Dremel tool.  You'll have cut thru the anodizing, so put some waterproof/resistant grease in the hole to keep the salt water from corroding the "new" larger hole.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Joe Kern

Just found the reply from Sailnet.  Svhaffer says the pins are 3/8", so that would explain why the 5/16" holes don't work.  I might go the drilling route.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

John Langford

I have Shaeffer cleats on both outside tracks. The pin size is not a problem for my 1999 Mk II. They are wonderful pieces of gear.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Ron Hill

Guys : The Schaeffer catalog on page 59 shows the 70-75 "Mid rail Chock and Cleat" for a 1 1/4" track to have a pin size of 5/16" (9mm) !!!   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I bought two cleats (forget brand), sent them to Garhauer and they mounted them on a slide that fits the track. Much less expensive than the Schaffer track cleats.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

My cleats were made by Nautical Engineering, think WM used to carry them, but not now.  During my search I found a link to ebay so they might be available there.  My outside track is 1 1/4", holes are 3/8".
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA