Alternator Bracket Upgrade Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveLyle

I've got a 150 amp Powerline alternator.  There is SLIGHT contact between the alternator fan (mostly the outer fan cover, not the blades) and the bracket arm.  Powerline says there's no other fan that will work.  Their local distributor says they may be able to chuck the fan in a lathe and take a few mills off.  Another option is to grind a bit of metal off the bracket.  I've been needing to get a grinder anyway, but the new painted bracket really is pretty, it's a shame to scar it up...

Anybody ever run into this problem?  I'm pretty confident that I got the bracket mounted correctly, there didn't seem to be any way to screw that up.

Steve

rdavison

If it's that close, I'd grind the bracket a bit assuming it's beefy enough overall.  Personally, I'd avoid taking metal off the blades - more to go wrong.  It's pretty easy to touch up the paint.

I had to grind a bit off the custom bracket I made when I upgraded to a Powertap alternator.  No sweat.

My opinion only.  Your milage may vary.

Randy Davison  #1268 1993 k7voe

jentine

Steve, I would start the engine and, using a fine flat file, file the alternator fan cover until the noise stops.  Machinists use this procedure regularly on parts on a lathe.  Balance will not be a problem since the concentricity of the fan will not be disrupted.
I would not grind the bracket.  I am sure that it was designed to withstand the load applied without being made smaller.  
Jim

SteveLyle

Maybe I'll just grind a little off of everything.

I just bought the boat, and can't figure why the previous owner had that big an alternator.  If I have trouble with belts, I'll just downsize to a 90 amp or so.  Which is one argument for trying to take a little off the fan.  The argument for taking a little off the bracket (I figure 1/8" would more than do it) is that it's doubtful the thing was optimized to reduce weight to the nth degree, and if it was, I just get another one.

Maybe the answer is 1/16" from both.