Hard To start Hot Engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

I am having some difficult starting the engine when hot. I still hold the glow plug in for 30-40 seconds....
I am thinking it may be wiring or the solonoid? I always get it going...sometimes on the second or third attempt. When I push in the starter, it just changes the sound of the "key on" alert to a higher, fainter sound.

Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!
Richie
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

Ted Pounds

Most likely a bad connection in the wiring between battery and starter.  Check out a couple of other threads on the same subject.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ted Pounds

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

joe

i posted the same problem a few weeks ago. i titled it "engine start". i rewired between the batteries and the charger and solved the problem. the replies to my post might help you. joe
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Ron Hill

Richard : We've beat that topic to death. 
Please look at Joe's "engine start" question & answers.
BTW, you don't need to use the glow plugs if the engine temp is above 100 degrees!!  A Thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

An observation along the line of Ron's:

I've experienced an easy "no-glow plug" start during the summer even when the engine has been off for several hours. If the ambient temp is >75 you can get away without it in most cases. If she won't fire up then, a 10-15 second pre-heat should be enough in those conditions.  :clap
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

With the engine hot, the compression is going to be higher.  This makes the starter work harder.  Any degredation in the starter wiring is going to cause less current available and a slower start, make sure all the connections are clean and tight.  It has been discussed in other threads, I'll repeat it here as a reminder.  It is not necessary to hold the key in the "heat" postion when starting.  Once the engine is hot, or the glow plugs are hot, put the key in the "on" position and hit the starter.  This give the starter all the amps available to spin the engine.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Jeff : Be careful, as the temperature that counts in engine starting is the ENGINE temperature. 
When in doubt use the glow plugs -- as glow plugs are cheap and starters are expensive.  Make sure that your starter has the LEAST amount of turn over time!
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

Ron,

Good point to remember. Even if it's really hot I do give the plugs a 15-20 second heat cycle before the first startup of the day. She always fires up in less that 3 seconds.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay