Promariner flyback battery charger

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

Since I bought my C34 I have gone through 3 battery chargers. ( 4 months)The first was the standard fly back 15 amp that was on the boat. It quit. , I called and got the 50% credit and ordered a 20 amp unit as per recommended.(about 1$175.00) I installed it and it worked for 10 days and quit. (it was refurbished) I called again and then they replaced it and now that unit quit working. (also a refurbished) Please refrain from telling me to check the system on the boat I have done this extensivly.
I now am reading up and see they are not recommending this charger on the C36 site. Any recomendations here? I am thinking of seeing what else they have to still use the warranty credit I have. Suggestions? Terry

Stu Jackson

Terry

Try this reference (to Charles "Redux") -- http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=605.0

Further searches on Promariner and chargers will find many more, right here on the C34 'site.

It is not your system, it's the bad charger.

Please let us know that the C36 group concurs.  They're a great bunch of skippers and I review their 'site occasionally.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Terry : I believe that I'd spend the money for a new charger, specifically a Xantrex True Charge 20 or 40 amp. (Look in Defender for the best price)
See what you get back in other equipment from the company that you bought the refurbished chargers from.  I doubt they will refund money, but might give you a credit toward another equipment item that you might need for the boat.

I wouldn't leave any charger plugged in while I was away and not on the boat.  Good luck.    :idea:
Ron, Apache #788

Terry Forshier

Afyter talking to Professional Mariner and going over what is in the boat and what electonoics I am usiing they said they would trade out the Flyback 20-3 for a 30 amp unit so I sent it back to them. I am waiting to see what I get since they make several 30 amp chargers. ? When you call these people they seem so harried that you hardly have time to exzplain what is going on before they volunteer a solution. After that they just want to get off the phone and move on. At least I have a solution of sorts on the way.