Automatic Fire Extinguisher?

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff_McKinney

Has anyone installed an automatic fire extinguisher in the engine compartment on their boat? I'm referring to the ones that dischage when the compartment temp exceeds 175 and uses the FE-241 or HFC-227ea "clean" suppressant. It would make sense from a safety perspective in that you have 24 hour coverage. My insureer says I could probably recover the cost in 4-5 yeaars on reduced premiums (10% reduction/year)

The kicker is that the life safety codes say you'd have to put in an automatic engine-shutdown device if you have a diesel. Pretty nifty device, but it would double the cost.

(I tried searching first, but no luck) :think

Thanks
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Jeff : Before you install that sophisticated extinguishing system; have you installed a simple smoke alarm??   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

Ron,

A valid point. I have one, but was looking for a tad more coverage during the times I'm off the boat.

Steve S.

Maybe I don't understand diesel engines that much but I can't imagine why you would need an auto fire extinguisher.  Diesel simply doesn't burn, even at high temps, unless it is under pressure.   If you had a gas engine, I could see the point and understand your insurance company's point..  But with diesel, it seems you would be wasting money.  I've never heard of a diesel bursting into flames. 

The smoke alarm makes more sense.  When you are on the boat and running and something goes awry, then a smoke alarm could be useful.  When you are not on the boat, there may be a risk of fire, but most likely from a bad electrical circuit, not the engine.   
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Jeff_McKinney

Steve,

You make some good points, and perhaps I'm being overly concerned. :nail

There IS the slight risk of an electrical fire in the engine compartment of a deisel (alternator & wiring), but periodic inspections and a handy-dandy dry chem extinguisher should handle that problem. I did install one of those "fire-port" gizmos near the lower companionway ladder so I can dump the agent right near the most likely source without opening the cabinet & letting air feed the fire.

Maybe I should just relax & go sailing (ONCE THIS $%*&+!! HEAT BREAKS).  :sick

Steve S.

Man, are you right about the heat.  Although I went out for day sail last Sat. and it was surprisingly pleasant.  Hot, but just enough wind to keep us moving.  For July on the Chesapeake, I'll take it.   Thank God for biminis!
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay