Cleaning the Diesel Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

It's my next project.  I know that there have been numerous posts on this, but one question has never been posed or answered:  What do you do with the crap that pours out with the acetone?  I certainly don't want to dump it on the ground.  Suggestions?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Jeff Kaplan

steve, if you have any truck parts stores, fleetpride,ect. in your area, they sell a speedy dri product made out of some sort of  reprocessed paper, not clay, that is designed to absorb oils, antifreeze,and diesel fuel spills.the difference between this and clay, is this product is legal to throw out with the trash,as it can be burned, whereas clay speedi dri soaked with the above should be disposed of as hazardous waste. so long as the tank is empty and all that you are getting rid of is the crud that comes out with the acetone, which will evaporate, put a trash bag into a bucket and  fill with the speedi dri, and pour in.when i was selling truck parts,  i sold this product to all the major truck fleets in my area with great results. just one idea...jeff kaplan
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Steve : Call your recycle center and see if they take old gasoline and acetone.  I poured mine on a concrete drive and watched it evaporate.
Another good use is - do you know of a poison ivy or a kudzu vine patch??   :appl
Ron, Apache #788

drchpeteros

Steve. I honestly believe that cleaning the tank is a big and very toxic mistake.  I opted not to do this and instead replaced the tank entirely.  Just call Catalina and place the order for a brand new perfectly clean tank with tank level sender already installed.  I forget what I paid but I remember feeling like it was a bargain compared to cleaning the tank with something as toxic as acetone.  Just pull the tank, drain it and use the diesel as you please and avoid the hassle and disposal problems of acetone etc.  Cleaning the tank is a big mistake.  The time and fumes saved by installing a new one is well worth a few extra bucks.

David Sanner

Cleaning the tank doesn't sound like the easiest of jobs but definitely the cheaper way to go.

Though you don't want to drink acetone, get it in your eyes or breath it for extended
periods of time I don't think it's nearly as toxic as you might think.

It's one of the few solvents that is not carcinogenic.  You don't have to report
acetone spills to the EPA unless they are over 5,000 pounds.

If found some info about acetone here:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html

Acetone is manufactured but also naturally occurring and breaks down
in the atmosphere.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Stu Jackson

G*d invented Acetone to remove black hull stripes from docking manuevers.

Although it may have other household uses, it sure is handy. :mrgreen:  (pun intended...)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : The tank cleaning becomes a problem because Captains only do it every 15 or so YEARS.  It's easy if done every 5 years - even if you go thur 200 hrs of fuel each year!! 
I've post this MANY times before , but the flexible bladder tanks on jet fueled aircraft are turned inside out and cleaned.  This is done every 1000 flying hours.  BTW, jets use alot more fuel than sailboats!!
Do the cleaning in an open air environment and you'll have no problem.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

Actually to both Ron and Chris, I decided to replace the tank.  I bought the boat about 5 years ago and I would bet a month's salary that the previous owner never cleaned the tank.  Also, the sender went on the fritz about two years ago and I figure if I'm going to pull the tank out to fix a sender, I might as well just replace it.   Thanks again to all for your sage advice.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve : You made a good choice. 
You still might want to clean out the old tank and stick it up in the attic - as a "just in case"?  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

steve stoneback

Steve,

My boat is 17 years old (1989 hull 918) and I am betting the previous owner never cleaned the tank either. I have had Grasmere for 7 years so even if he did it needs it again. I am either going to clean it or replace it.  Do you remember what the new tank cost?

Also Steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Steve Hansen

Offhand around $225. Catalina quoted a higher price, but the actual billed price was 225. Going from memory from last year.
Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP