marine or standard stereo

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

I am planning on installing a stereo on my boat.  Is it necessary to invest in a "marine" stereo radio / CD player or would a regular car stereo system fit the bill.  Seems to me a regular automotive system will stand up just fine since the system will be mounted inside the boat in a cabinet and will not be exposed to the elements.  Thoughts?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ron Hill

David : I wouldn't waste my $$ on a marine stereo, unless you want to get the WX channels that you also get on your VHF!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

DEMERY

7+ Years Automotive Receiver and CD Changer with no problems.

Good Luck,

Dave

David Arnold

Thanks all.  I suspected as much but wanted to get confirmation from those that have been there before :thumb:
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Howard Armstrong

4years on mine now. Make sure you get one that will play an MP3 CD. you can put about ten albums on one CD and if you can find one with a AUX jack on the front panel you can plug you IPOD into.

Mark G

I spent the extra money on a marine system years ago and then remembered I live in Wisconsin. The temperature in my car rises to well over 100 on a hot summer day and can get to -20 or worse in the winter. Humidity swings are just as severe. Snow melts and puddles in the floor mats in winter only to refreeze. I've never had a car radio or CD player fail. We don't have salt air, of course. Still, I believe I wasted my money on the marine system.

Jim Price

I had marine radio on boat from PO (crappy reception) but replaced with auto version when it failed.  Have radio / CD / XM satellite unit now.  Best money ever spent and CD's work better as they are built with dampeners for auto vibrations and car is worse than boat most always.

You might want to search the messages for installation location tips.  Need to be aware that locations relatively close to charger may cause interference on AM/FM radio when on shore power and charging.  Does not seem to have any impact on my XM receiving at all.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Tom Glennon

4th season now with an "automobile" radio/tape/cd player.  Picked it up at a West Marine Tent sale.
has a 12 disk CD changer.... The only "marine" components were the two cockpit speakers I installed.  The main saloon speakers are Infinities, picked up at Ciruit City.
Tom Glennon, Slow Dance #354, 1987, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts