Misting System

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

I've noticed that more and more outdoor restaurants have installed misting systems to cool the air.  A couple of years a go I saw them on the streets of Las Vegas.  Some run all the time, some are periodic, but they do seem to work.  With the insuffferable heat this time of year along the Gulf Coast while on deck or in the cockpit, I'm thinking of installing one on Breezer!  So, if anyone has seen one on a boat, I'd like to know about it!  I'm thinking of adapting the type used for ferns and other hanging basket plants.  The main "mister" would be on the bow pulpit, since it would be upwind, with other misters aliong the lifelines, about every stantion or so.  I would just plumb the misters into the cold water system with a ball valve. 

What do you think, or do I have too much time on my hands?

Mike

Wayne

These misting systems are extremely efficient in hot dry climates.  In effect, tiny droplets of water are flash evaporated into water vapor, absorbing heat from the surrounding air in the process.  In humid conditions the evaporation would be so slow that I suspect it might just increase the humidity.  I'm in the nursery business in a hot, dry area of California, and we use such a system for cooling our greenhouses.  Hot, very dry outside air is blown into foggy greenhouses; temperature drop is up to 20 degrees.  But such systems are not used in humid climates.
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Mike Smith

I did a search on Google and they are available for boats, but I haven't seen one for sailboats, specifically.  Even with high humidity I think they would have a good cooling effect.

Mike

Ron Hill

Mike : What Wayne is trying to tell you is that it works great when the relative humidity is at least below 50%. 
I'd guess that if you install one in Florida/Gulf Coast - you'll grow mold on the OUTSIDE of your boat!!    :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ron -

It gets so bad sometimes I'd appreciate a garden hose to cool us down!

Mike

John Sheehan

Mike,

With the fine quality water we have here I would guess Breezer would become a stalagmite!
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Stephen Butler

Just return from a month in Florida (Gulf side) and appreciate the need for "something" to help with the weather.  When at anchor and with little or no breeze, we tried "misting" by using a sray bottle...no luck as the high ambient humidity decreased the evaporation rate. However, it did feel good for the first few minutes.  We ended up just going over the side now and again.  For below deck, we installed some additional tubro brand fans...low draw, relatively quiet, and very good air movement.  We found that the fans made an enormous difference in comfort  level, as the constant air movement does allow 'some" evaporation from the skin, even at higher humidities. Hope this helps. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023