Configurations and design

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Forshier

We bought our 1988 34 Catalina about 2 months ago and prior to that I probably researched and checked every C34 on the internet. One thing I noticed is they all are different in the size  (or reported size) of the holding tanks,fuel tanks and water tanks. Was there ever a standard for these? I have the original manual and order sheet for my boat so I am pretty certain I am correct on my volumes. I have a 27 gallon holding tank, a 24 gallon diesel tank and 2 water tanks holding a combined 77 gallons of water.
I have read in this site that Catalina used what was available but it does seem that many of the boats may have been somewhat customized. My boat, for instance, was a dealer's personal owned boat and has a LOT of what I think are upgrades. Just wondering and thought this group would know. Terry in Naples

DEMERY

My 1990 (built in 1989) has 25 gallons fuel, 27 gallons waste and two water thanks. 28 gallons starboard, 43 gallons aft and 6 gallons in the water heater for a total 77 gallons.

Ron Hill

Terry : You'll see differences in SOME C34 production years on tankages.

You have an aft and starboard water tank, not so with a 1986 or a MKII!!  Look in your owner's manual for a 1988 and you should find that YOUR boat has a : 43 gal aft and 28 gal starboard water tank + if you add in the 6 gal water heater you can obtain your total fresh water onboard.  I believe that the holding (waste) tank is kind of standard at 27 gal.  Also the fuel tank is somewhat standard at 23 gal, BUT if you pull your tank it's date plate is stamped - 25gal (wrote that in the Mainsheet tech notes)!!

When I wrote that Catalina used what was available to keep the production line on schedule, I was referring to other items beside tankage.  These items included engines, different packing gland sizes (still a 1" shaft), different manufactures of subsystem motors, hatches and electronics etc. 

It was not unusual to have a "boat show" hull embellished alittle more than the regular production boats both in quality and extra installed options.  This was done at the factory and by the dealer.  Good example is this last Annapolis BOAT show when Lewmar installed folding wheels on all of the Catalina's!! 

Hope this answered some of your questions.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I was under the impression that our holding tank was only 15 gallons.  No wonder it's been so useful and efficient.

The rest of water quantities posted above seem reasonable.

Guess the ? is why the question, most are pretty much the same, plus or minus a few gallons.  You have what you have.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

From some of the pictures I've seen posted. It looks like the MarkII might have a narrower, smaller holding tank. 18gal vs. 23?

I'm planning on ordering a new holding tank this fall. Maybe I'll take the time to measure it while I have it in the garage. When I contacted Catalina about a week ago, they wanted the B- number off the existing tank to match what was installed.

- Craig

George Bean

Wow! I'm jealous!  Tankage on the MkII boats is less than stellar. Freya is hull #1473 built in 1999 and has 59 gallons of fresh (28 gal in the transverse mounted aft tank, 25 gal fwd and 6 in the water heater).  The diesel tank is 25 gal. Our holding tank is a paltry 13 gallons!  On older MKII's (and also MkI ½'s?)  the holding tank is 15 gallons.  When we bought Freya this figure was still on the spec sheet.  The reason for the drop in tank size is that when the battery selector switches and windlass  breakers were re-located to the port settee under the chart table – this shortened the length of the holding tank, losing the two gallons.  When we installed our Snake River tank monitor, we calibrated it by measuring the number of gallons it took to fill the tank so we're pretty positive about the tank's capacity.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476