Spreader

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

We just noticed a gap between the port spreader and the mast. Upon going up for an inspection, everyhting appears structurally OK - it appears that there is a large pin going from the mast into the spreader. The best guess from our crew is that the pin is slightly long, and it bottoming out in the spreader. It seems that shaving it would bring the spreader back in and we would live happily ever after. Any experience or thoughts?
Thanks,

Rick Niles
Gentle Storm #1294

Rick Niles
Rick@ranfit.comˇ

Tom Soko

I think you'll find that the "pin" you mentiion is actually a bar joining the two spreaders.  It's about 1/2" thick, 2" wide and 12" long.  Its purpose is to counter the compression loads on the spreaders, so the mast doesn't compress, buckle, and fall over!  Most likely the bar length is a tad long, and the gap will shift sides as you tack.  I've noticed the same thing on my mast for years, and it hasn't changed.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Rick

Tom and Ron,

Thanks. I suppose "pin" wasn't really the right word to describe it. So I take it , since the bar is continuous that having is bit long is no problem, and in fact  protective for the mast?  It would only be a problem if too short, and then putting the load directly on the mast ?

Thnaks again,

Rick Niles
Gentle Storm #1294

Rick Niles
Rick@ranfit.comˇ