Throttle Creep

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Lanzilli

The throttle on my C34 has been difficult to move in either direction.  I found a cable clamp midway in the run of the cable crimping it causing this problem, unfortunately, without the clamp the throttle slowly creeps back to neutral.  

I now see why this was done, but I can not believe this is the fix.  Does the flexibility of the cable support too much flexibility in the run to the engine which creates a "springy" control such that it returns to neutral as mine does?  Is this the preferred remedy?
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

SteveLyle

I use a clamp to control my creep, and it's worked well for years.  Did you try just loosening it a bit, vs removing it entirely?

Ron Hill

Tom : Not too sure what your problem is?  Reread your question a couple of times and don't understand "cable clamp?  Are you talking about the clamp that acts as a guide to hold the entire cable&jacket in place?
If that's so, the cable guide should NOT act as a clamp on the outside of the cable jacket.  It should only hold it in place. 
If that's the case then you need to tighten the friction nut(7/16" I believe) that's under the compass.  That nut is just on the inside of the Edison pedestal on the throttle shaft.  That's what should control throttle friction.    :?
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Yikes!  Don't ever put a clamp on a control cable!  The bolt Ron mentioned is the only way to prevent "creep".

Mike

Tom Lanzilli

ok I will look for the bolt Ron mentioned I knew the a cable clamp did not seem right.  I will let you know if I can find the bolt Ron is referring to.

Thanks this really helps,
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

Craig Illman

The cable clamp is the Catalina 36 "fix". You can put a little pressure on to prevent creep without digging into the top of the binnacle. A tactical fix. My observation, not a recommendation, but seems to work.

Mr Sokoloski might want to comment?

- Craig

SteveLyle

What's on my cable, and has been since before I bought the boat, is a u-shaped rod, threaded at both ends, with a radius that matches the throttle cable external cover.  Nuts on each end tighten up a cross member that puts pressure on the internal cable.  It's a simple matter to tighten the nuts just enough that the cable won't slip, but the throttle still responds easily.

I don't know where the PO got it, but it looks like it was made for the purpose it's being used for.  I don't see any downside at all from it. 

It works, it's worked for years, and it's much easier to get to than opening up the pedestal to use that adjustment.

Jeff Kaplan

tom, i just got thru tightening the bolt that ron refered to. as he stated, it is clearly visable once the compass was removed. to get a wrench on the bolt though, i had to remove 3 screws and loosen the forth on the structure that the compass sits on, and moved  it out of the way. btw, on my '86, the bolt was 7/16". simple and straight foward...jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Craig Illman

Jeff - Would you been able to have used a socket with a universal joint to adjust the bolt?

- Craig

Jeff Kaplan

craig, no, i have a univ. swivel socket on board, but no luck. had to move the grid to get wrench on it. the bolt is so close to the side that couldn't get socket over head. if you can find a long wrench you might be able to get it in, but a std. length wrench won't work...jeff

Jeff Kaplan

craig, i should have stated, that on my boat, i couldn't get the swivel over the bolt head, but possibly on a newer boat, you might have the clearance. remove the compass and you will see the bolt and will be able to judge then...jeff

Tom Lanzilli

Thanks for the great insight, I will work on this over the weekend.
Tom Lanzilli
Ithaka, 2004, #1660
Guilford, CT

ross99

I've experienced the same problem -- but how in the world do you remove the compass from the binnicle?

Ron Hill

Ross : Take your 2 hands and grasp the stainless portion of the compass sides.  Twist and lift, but remember there's a light wire attached the the compass itself on the inside.
To reinstall just sit it down and turn it until the forward and aft "lubber lines" align with the mast and bow.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : As I recall, I used a crow's foot wrench to tighten that bolt head. 
BTW, it's a one time tightening!!  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788