Dinghy Davits and Solar Panels

Previous topic - Next topic

charles

I'm think of adding two 50 to 65 Watt Solar Panels to my C 34 MK II. I'm also thinking the easiest way to mount them might be on top of a set of Dinghy Davits.
Does anyone have new information or comments on davits or Solar panel to share. (I like other
 opinions.)
I know there is some inforamation in the Projects page on Davits.
thanks
Charlie
C 34 M II

jentine

Charlie, I installed davits from Ocean Marine System last summer.  I have had rave reviews from everyone that has seen them.  They are excellent quality.  Everything fit perfectly the first time.  That alone was very unusual.  
I decided against mounting solar panels on the davits because I have a walk through transom and I dive.  They would simply get in the way.  I added two solar panels to my electrical system.  One (200 watts) is mounted on the Wavestopper dodger and the other (40 watts) is on deck forward of the dodger.  Shading by the boom is not a problem because I keep the traveller to one side of the boat when I am not aboard.
I am adding a third solar (80 watts) panel this winter.  It will be mounted on the bimini.  This location is free of all shadows and is not in my way.  Jim

karista

I installed the Kato Davits which use 1 1/4 Dia. stainless instead of the 1 inch dia of others I reviewed, then I mounted a 120 watt panel on top of the cross bar. This has worked out very well. I also considered mounting the panel on top of the bimini, but decided against it due to the fact that quite often we remove the bimini due to hurricane warnings, or when sailing in very high winds.
Bernd

charles

Jim and
Bernd
Would you mind giving me the specifics on the Solar panels and mounting techniques -- I'm struggling with this decision.
thanks
Charles
C 34 MII

jentine

Charlie,
Where the solar panels are placed is a matter of where you can put them without them being shadowed by the mast or boom.  The davits are an excellent place if you do not need to walk through your transom.  If you do, they impede your egress.
The bimini is clear of shadows and is an excellent place to mount solar panels.  I have two 80 watt Kyocera panels there.  
I have planed for the removal of the bimini in windy conditions by using studs on the panel, through the bimini bows, and wing nuts to fasten them.  
The dodger is a less perfect place to mount the solar panels because it is shadowed by the boom.  I move the boom to either port or starboard (depending upon the prevailing wind) when moored or anchored.  I have permenantly mounted the 200 watt Kyocera panel to the dodger because it is a hard dodger and removal for impending storms is impractical.
My third panel, a flexable 22watt, is mounted to the deck just forward of the dodger with velcro.  This panel is used to maintain the starting battery.
The wiring for each solar panel is run alongside the stainless tubing to a deck fitting and along wireways to the batteries.  I have mounted the solar controllers in the bilge, afixed to the hull to keep them cool.  I do not know if it makes a difference, but electrical components suffer from heat damage when allowed to get too hot.  I have sprayed the contacts with a battery contact sealer to help eliminate corrosion.

karista

Charlie
I have a 120 watt Kyocera panel which is mounted on the Davit cross bar. I used 10 gauge tinned wire and a Lyncom regulator which is mounted inside the hanging locker in front of the chart table. The panel is fused and has a switch prior to the regulator. The panel is quite large and is mounted lenghtwise across the davits. The panel is rated at 120 watts, 7 amps. (I was not aware that there was a 200 watt Kyocera panel as mentioned on a previous reply.) E-Marine, is the vendor I bought the unit from, check out there website as they show many different panel installations on various sailboats, including a davit mount Catalina 34 set-up. They also have various install kits which could save you some time.
Bernd

jentine

Bernd is correct.  It is a 120 watt Kyocera on the dodger.  Thinking too hard in the early a.m. produces senior moments.  Jim

charles

Thanks for every ones input to my question.
Another question on davits -- Talked to the folks at Kato Marine. They were really recommending I install rail supports if I install Davits.
Their designer suggest two supports running from the stern rail to the lower "seats"  on the transom. I think the approach would take care of including the motor on the dinghy. I don't like adding more clutter to the transom by adding the support pieces.
Are most of you Satisfied with clamping the davits to your stern rail plus the pivoting base?

(I'm leaning towards two 80 watt Kyrocea panels mounted over the Bimini on a separate bow. I would run the bow from the stern rail on one side, over the top of the bimini down to the other side to the stern rail. I would have to add another piece to get a traingular supoort someplace. I'm assuming I need the panel 2 inches above the bimini for cooling.