Inflatables on transom

Previous topic - Next topic

David Arnold

Does anyone have any experience with mounting an inflatable dinghy vertically on the transom?  I posted an earlier thread about a Weaver pivot system but got no replies so I am beginning to doubt that I can do anything other than tow the inflatable, hoist it horizontally off the stearn or pull it up and strapy it on the cabin top (which I am not willing to do)???  Any thoughts?
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

Ken Juul

Brian Reed has a MKII,  he uses the Weaver system.  He posted pictures and a write up, can't remember if on the board or in the projects.  Try a search using Weaver or inflatable.    The expensive alternative is a dingy davit system.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

reedbr

David-

As Ken indicated, I have a Weaver system on the transom with a hard dink.  This would be a difficult fit with a MkI since it has a narrower transom, but a MkII just fits an 8' dinghy without overhang.  Since inflatables usually have larger outside dimensions, I don't know how well you would fare.  I suggest you tie it on to the transom first using inexpensive rachet-strap tie downs to the swim ladder and stern pulpit.  That's what I did at first.  If you like how it works, looks, and rides, get the Weaver inflatable setup.

Issues I have noticed after running this system for a couple seasons:
(1)  The dinghy covers my stern light, requiring an extension or portable light if you run at night or in the fog with the dinghy on the transom.
(2)  It blocks some wind at the helm station. 

Another viable option I looked at but it was only availble for inflatables was Dinghy-Tow.  This basically pulls half the dinghy up on the transom and drags half in the water.  Some posters here really liked it, apparently working better than it sounds. 

TEMP has some Weaver pictures: http://users.erols.com/reedbr/
Dinghy-Tow: http://www.dinghy-tow.com/

Good luck.

Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD

David Arnold

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try strapping the dinghy on the transom to see if that works as well as get pricing info on the dinghy tow.  THANKS!!! :thumb:
David
"Prints of Tides"
Naragansett Bay, RI
2005 - #1707

clifford Rieders

I had Edson rack for holding the dingy and hated them. You couldn't see out the stern and I took them off.  They are as good as new and worked fine. Cliff c34 #1022, 1990