hot water heater element

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I don't get any hot water under AC, the circuit breaker seems to work, does anyone think it might be the element? I have a 1988 and the boat is 3 hours away, would like to buy a element and bring it with me, does anyone know what kind of element I need?  I forgot to look before I left. Thanks much  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Bob : If you look at some of the posts on you topic, the guys have purchased a replacement element at Home Depot.  You've got a 6 gal hot water heater.  Sorry I can't give you the # off the top of my head.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Ron's correct.  Just about any Home Depot/Lowes or major hardware store should have one.  They are normally sold by wattage, and there may be a couple different lenghts.  Suggest you take it out and measure or compare at the store.  Hopefully you have one close to the boat.  Another idea is to call Seaward, perhaps they can tell you over the phone.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jim Price

To continue, I replaced mine a couple of years ago and cannot remember the wattage and I am am on the road in another part of the country. 

I will caution that even though based on breaker amps, the heater could support up to 1800 watts but that will not work.  I tried a higher wattage within the tolerance but it blew the breaker when it started getting hot. and had to get the original replacement size.  Thought I could get hotter water quicker - no way.  The Seward site suggests the heaters use 1500 watts but I am not sure that is what ours use.  Call Seward - it is either 1000 watts or 1500 watts.

If you cannot get the right answer, buy both wattages (only cost about $9 each) and return the one you don't need.  Have good wrenches ready as the element may take a fair amount of persuasion to break free.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Bobg

Thanks much guys, I am aware of home depot and other places I guess I was looking for someone who recently did this and knows the length and wattage, not all elements have the same configuration when puitting in, some have a screw installation and some have a flange, I don't know which it is.  I did try the other posts, but couldn't find anything I could use, the decesion to call seward is a good one, I will also test and see if I have power at the terminals of the element. thank you.   Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

RV61

I replaced my element last season and when I was at the hardware they had a cheap socket made to fit to unscrew the old element and put in the new that fit snug and made the job easy. Took about ten minutes to do the whole thing. Also used some plumbers tape to make sure no leaks under pressure. :thumb:
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

The one thing that's missing here is a specific manufacturer, model number and cost.  Would be helpful to others if someone could dig that out, especially since Home Depot is most likely the same all over the country.  I, for one, would love to have that info, for when, not if, I'll be needing to do the replacement.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

The water heater on my '89 is an Atwood model EHM6-SM. I just ordered a new one on line from DuckTec for $298.89 with free shipping. It is rated at 1400 watts.
Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Mike, that's for the entire unit.  I was looking for that same information for the heating element (which for most of us is for the Seaward 6 gallon unit).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Howard Armstrong

I have an 88 model. don't remember the heater manufacture but it had the square flange. if i remember correctly the element was about 10 inches long and 1500 watts. i couldn't find, small town on the intercoastal somewhere, the correct one so installed a 750 watt element. i really haven't noticed any difference. hope this helped some.

Bobg

I called seward, she told me it was the screw in type, 1500 watt, 120 volt, will try it this weekend and give a update thanks, bob
I bought the flange type just in case.

Bobg

Well calling Seward isn't always the best, it wound up being the flange type 1500 watt.  Not only that, it was a loose wire
anyway.  Bob

Jim Price

Look at it this way.  You now have a backup element!!    :clap

Most of us don't have have that luxury.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA