broken engine mount

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

I noticed today that the forward, port side engine mounting bracket on my 1991 C34 has broken.  This is the steel bracket that bolts to the block and extends over to the engine mount.   It sheered off just ouside of where there is a gusset reinforcement.  This is the universal m25xp engine I believe.

Has anyone else run into this ? Where is a good source for a replacement?

Thanks

Roland Gendreau
Gratittude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : If it's a 3 cylinder (M25XP) I'd replace all 4 mounts with Vetus K75.  If it a 4 cylinder (M35A) you might consider Vetus K100s.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Gary

Roland,

It seems like you might be refering to the L shaped bracket that bolts to the engine block rather than the rubber engine mount as Ron is suggests.  Check this url <www.marinedieseldirect.com> follow links to your Universal engine and look under Engine Systems Group schematic and you will find a way to identify the part you are looking for and it's price.
Gary Ambrose
Kije #215
1986 Fin Keel
Falmouth Foreside, ME

Rick Johnson

If Roland was referring to the Universal Front Mounting Bracket (#302969) on a M25XP, there is a Westerbeke Service Bulletin (#214) on this.  The brackets installed on some Catalina sailboats (only Catalinas) are known to fracture across the bracket just forward of where the lower support gusset terminates.  I noticed mine was broken on the starboard side and called Westerbeke at 508-823-7677 (the phone number on the actual service bulletin is wrong).  Ask for Joe Joyce, the service manager, and if you have the defective mounting brackets they will be replaced at no charge.  I always like good customer service....  If you want a copy of the Service Bulletin just email me and I will scan a copy.

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Good point, Rick.  If you scan the bulletin, could you post it here, too?  We should also advise our C36 friends of this, since I'd not heard of it before.  Thanks.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Stu,

No problem.  I left the SB at work, so I will scan it tomorrow.  Do you want me to email it to you? Joe at Westerbeke was great.  They just want you to call with the engine serial number and the model of Catalina you have.  I told Joe I would need to call back with the serial number.  He suggested I just leave it on his voice mail, but he would ship the new brackets today.  Nice guy to do business with especially since it didn't cost me anything.

Thanks,

Rick

Stu Jackson

Rick, yes, email it to me, so I can have a "full size" readable copy, and then we can shrink it down to fit on the message board.  Thanks again.  mraquaq@aol.com
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

I'll be interested in see this bulliten. 
Just on Catalina boats makes no sense?  Unless later model M25XPs went to a different engine mount bracket!   :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Price

Let's definately get this on the board and any photos that can be made available.  Since I have a 25XP and production model is close, #1119, I am interested also.  I am betting all of us with 25XP's will want to know more about this - and soon.  Stu, try to make the board copy really sharp.  Some of us old guys need to blow up the images and they tend to "ditther" away.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Rick Johnson

I'll try to remember to take my camera tomorrow and take some pictures of the broken mounting bracket (it's in the truck).  It is only Catalina's with the M25XP.

Cheers,

Rick

Stu Jackson

Many thanks to Rick Johnson who forwarded this to us.  Just click on the filename and it will open into Adobe Acrobat Reader and you can view or print it out.

Bob K

I had the same problem with my M35.  Attached is a photo of the broken bracket.  Westerbeke had a service bulletin for this engine also.  Joe Joyce promptly provided me a new set of brackets at no charge  - he asked only for the engine serial number.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Rick Johnson

Bob,

Amazing how similar mine looks...

Cheers,

Rick

dgill

Just curious, did Westerbeke send you an exact replacement or did they "re-engineer" this part?
  :D
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Rick Johnson

The bulletin says that they modified the lower support gusset by lengthening it by 1 1/2 inches.  When mine gets here I will check and see if that's the only change.

Cheers,

Rick