Danforth doesn't fit

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I tried to put a 22 lb. standard Danforth into the slots in the anchor locker only to find that I couldn't close the anchor locker lid when it was in place. Am I missing something? Isn't this the anchor that is supposed to work in this space?

Cheers,
John
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

sail4dale

I found the same situation until I removed the shackle from the end of the shank.  Only then would it drop down enough. I now keepo the chain disconnected while stowed away and if I'm going out where I might think about anchoring, I keep the anchor on the bow ready to drop.  Not the best but it does work.

John Langford

My problem is not the length of the Danforth itself; it sits in the slots fine. The problem is that the rectangular pieces at the interstection of the T (I believe they are called the Crown) stick up about 1/2" too high As a result, the anchor locker cover makes contact with the inboard rectangle and  won't completely close.

I notice from the west Marine catalogue that some more recent versions of the Danforth anchor seem to have shorter crowns.

Cheers,
John

Denny

This may be too easy or you have already tried it.  I pulled the shank out toward the middle of the locker floor which allowed the whole anchor to sit lower and in the groves.  The locker door also closes.  This requires that you retrive the rode on deck first, stow the anchor as stated above, and then stow the rode into the locker.
Denny

Denny

Ray & Sandy Erps

I wonder if the crown size varies from Danforth to all the danforth copies.  My "Danforth"  fits, but if a single loop of anchor rode finds itself on top of the crown, the lid doesn't close right.  John, I might be tempted to take a grinder to that crown to fine tune the fit.  Sure beats stowing the anchor somewhere less accessible.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

raz

I just discovered I have the same problem with my #1692.  I bought a Delta as my main anchor and tried to stow the stock Catalina Danforth as I have seen my dock neighbor did with his 310.  I too had the shackle blocking full seating (at first), and then some cloth underneath the danforth bars (at second) and then a little tilt (at third), and finally reversed the anchor (at 4th), which helped actually by about an 1/8th of an inch.  With all that effort, I can close the anchor locker but it is 'sprung' very slightly, which is not an adequate solution.  So while I am having the boat hauled (to replace a frozen thru-hull), I am having the yard grind down the mid-ships positioned flat plate on the Danforth so that the lid can close properly.  Seems that the stock Danforth supplies by Catalina has changed its dimensions so that the cool storage area does not work as designed.

Ron Hill

Guys : I have a Bruce 33 on the bow roller and a Danforth 1850 in a holder that attaches to the opposite side bow pulpit.  That holder holds the crown of the Danforth and the weight of the anchor hold it in place.  Both anchors are ready to deploy.  The anchor well is split so the two rodes and chains are separated.  Also in the well is a third 2500 Danforth (not connected to a rode).
A thought    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

reedbr

And I though it was just my boat that had an issue with the Danforth fitting in the locker.   I put a 33# Bruce on the roller and went to store the stock 22# Danforth in the locker.  The fit was tight and the lid was "sprung" so I eventually stored it under the V-berth.  You all gave me some ideas, I'll go play with it again.  I was avoiding the grinding myself since the ground edge will not be galvanized and I assume will rust and cause stains. 

This is on hull 1365.
Brian Reed
1997 C34 mkII "Ambitious"
St. Mary's River, MD