engine coolant

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Ok engine guru's; I need your help. Preparing Tail Wind for the winter, I drained and replaced the coolant. After starting up and running for a few minutes, the temp started climbing, so I shut it down at 180 degrees. Figured there was an air pocket. After allowing it time to cool down, I started it up again, and throttled up to 2800 rpm's a few times, as the manual instructs, to move the air pocket thru the system. Opened the vent on the thermostat a couple of times and only got coolant. Still the temp climbed, so I shut it down again. Tried this a few times with no success.
The raw water side was working fine, so no coincidence factor there. Since I was hauled out yesterday, this is now a spring project.
The possible problems are, as I see it, a stubborn air pocket, or coincidentally, a stuck thermostat or broken water pump.
Thoughts?

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

c34member

I take it that in the past your engine ran below 180 degrees?  Diesels run better hotter and mine holds between 165 and 175 on long motor trips.  When you drained the coolant it is possible that the thermostat took that opportunity to get stuck.  Time for the old candy thermometer and pot of water on the stove routine.  I would start there before I worried about the internal circulation pump.  Are you sure you are getting raw water through enough of the heat exchanger?  Pull the intake end cap and check for blockages or foreign objects.  Two good winter projects for you.

Ed Shankle

Thanks, Ron. I found your instructions and the string of messages under FAQ's. FYI for anyone else interested.
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA