Access to Masthead Wiring

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Taylor

I have a C36 Mk11 with a Charleston Spar Furling Mast  which is essentially the same as that on the C34.
I have for some time been contemplating adding a masthead TV antenna.

From the Charleston Spar Manual there is a cap on the top of the masthead held by 6 screws as shown in the attached photo.

I understand that you can simply remove the cap and see the main conduit which runs the length of the mast.  It sounds rather simple to then just mount the antenna and drill a hole in the cap to lead the cable into the conduit and fish it out down the bottom.
I will have to get someone younger than me to do this job and I haven't seen the top of my mast.

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm the above and that there are no surprises when the guy is up there.
Unfortunately none of the guys on the C36 forum with a Mk11 could shed any light on the situation.

Many thanks

Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk11
Melbourne Australia
Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk 11
Melbourne Australia

tonywright

My tv antenna was already installed. But I think that there are just 2 screws holding the cap on (at one end, the other end is slotted into the masthead fitting). I recommend that you give Charleston Spars a call: they are very helpful.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Ken Juul

Not sure how the roller furling masts are constructed.  On the non furling, the fore and back stays are attached to the cap.  They have to be slacked and removed to pull the cap off.  Not sure I would want to be up there without all the stays in place.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

As this is in Australia, isn't everything upside down??????? :rolling
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Peter : You also have a problem of getting the TV cabling out at the bottom - and running it to the inside!!  Use the existing VHF cable as a leader to pull thru TV+new VHF cables???

I'd take Tony's advice and contact Charleston spars.

I assume your's is a deck stepped mast and it just might be easier to drop the mast.  
Look in the early 1990's C34 Mainsheet tech notes and you'll see an article on how I added a wired wind indicator with the keel stepped mast in place on the boat!  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Peter Taylor

Thanks Ron- actually the C36 is keel stepped and I would have to drill a hole at the base to retieve the end.
Even though its a 1 inch conduit, pulling cables is always a risky business as you can end up in more trouble than you started with if the leader gets stuck.
A couple of the riggers I have spoken to have been very cautious for that reason and said the easiest and least risky way is to pull the mast.
Anyway, I willl give the guys at Chearlesto a call.

I imported the boat from the US and even though I have a VHF splitter - the TV signal is poor using the VHF aerial - picture is upside down!!!!
Peter Taylor
Altair
2005 C36 Mk 11
Melbourne Australia