Wing Keel strength

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

My Boat is on the hard in the gradle, upon inspection I noticed a lot of the weight is on the keel, I have a wing keel, inside the boat, the fiberglass is actually bowed up in the mast area, has anyone experienced this?  I wasn't there when they put it away last fall, hopefully it will straighten out when I put it in the water. Evidently these boats can't take a lot of keel pressure?  I called the yard and asked them to try and raise the boat off the keel somehow, any thoughts out there?  Thanks  Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

BillG

Past comments in this forum seem to indicate that 75% of the weight should rest on the keel and 25% on the cradles.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

hsnt: It almost sound like the yard put your boat in the cradle back-wards!!  I the one that posted 75% weight on the keel and 25% on the hull, but the pads have to be at a bulkhead.
Look at your owners manual and there's a diagram of the cradle (with measurements) and the narrower higher pads are for the bow!!  Check it out - maybe they could have even put the boat in the wrong cradle?   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788